Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Well, gee, I guess I'm alone in this here, but, for what it's worth, my son was always busy and happy playing full time with his friends in the summer - that is, when we weren't on a vacation somewhere. He never ever did focused studies in the summer. There were times when I was going through one of my periodic anxiety attacks that I wished he didn't have so many friends available to play, because I wanted to do something "educational," but in the long run it didn't matter one bit.

I think play time and plenty of dreamy time to get bored and daydream is extremely valuable in the big picture of developing a love of learning and ability to figure things out. Even Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge. My son never lost out on anything - he excelled in the community college and is not off to a wonderful four year college. I'm only tossing this into the thread in case there's anyone reading all this and suddenly thinking it's ~necessary~ to do school during the summer. If it's what makes everyone happy, that's great, but it isn't a necessity.
Lillian

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatureMommy
My children's friends are no more available for weekday play during the summer then they are during the school year. I am one of only a handful of SAHMs with school-age children in our neighborhood (only 3 of us on my block). Daycare in the summer has a different name - daycamp. Most of the kids in our neighborhood go to the city's "daycamp" every day, every week of the summer.
Wow. I don't think I'll ever get used to this phenomenon. I've always found it so strange to drive through suburban neighborhoods and not see any kids out playing. Part of it, of course, is because of TV and video games, but there's this whole other element to it. I guess we had it pretty good here. Some of the moms worked, but the were able to arrange their hours in such a way that a parent was always home with the kids. I guess that's becoming more of a luxury these days. I sympathize with young women wanting to have careers, and I realize some simply need to have jobs they're not even enjoying, but I do worry about this and following generations of kids living in a kind of limbo... - Lillian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.