Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old won't stop sticking things too far down his throat until he gags himself. It always bothers him when he gets gagged, but then he goes and does it again and again and again. He does fingers, toys, the tie on his sunhat, diapers, anything. Is this normal behavior? It's getting really frustrating because he's upsetting himself so much.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've been wondering about this! My 9.5 month old has done it for a while now. My mom (in all seriousness) tried to convince me that I was feeding her too much and that she was trying to make herself throw up.
"No, Mom, my baby is not bulimic."

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oh, wow! DD does this too. Not with objects, but with her fingers. She does it all the time.

I wonder why? I've been thinking that it's possibly to get my attention? When she was first learning to eat solids I would react if she choked a little, and say "Oh, sweetie! Are you okay?" or something like that, and I wondered if this a is a way for her to try and get me to turn my head and look at her. Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
My son did this all the time. Now he's nearly 3 and doesn't as much. He is an easy vomiter though. Sigh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts