Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son turned 5 months old last week. We co-sleep (in my bed), and while he's always been a big mover, he's now army crawling his way around my whole house. His sister just turned two and quit naps completely at 16 months. This means early mornings, late nights, and NO NAPS! He's been up since 6:30 this morning with a total of maybe an hour sleep (broken into a couple short naps) this afternoon. An hour ago he was so tired that he went into a state of overtired crying. Nothing helped to calm him down as he frantically rubbed at his eyes, but I did get him close to sleep by nursing him on his side on my bed. He woke up a few (literally) minutes later and has been WIDE awake, and happy, ever since. Right now he's crawling over my bed (and me) just babbling away, happy as can be. I can't fall asleep as he'll slither his way right off the bed.<br><br>
I'm at a loss what to do with his child. He still wakes up several times to nurse at night, and I get no rest during the day. I need some serious sleep and nap help so I can get some rest, and have more time and energy to give his sister the attention that she deserves.<br><br>
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save my sanity? No CIO suggestions please.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<p>Wow-that sounds really tough.  I only have one child and I often wonder how in the world I could possibly make this work with another.  If I were in your situation I would focus on doing whatever it took to get him to nap at the appropriate times (at 5 months, this would mean a maximum wake time of 2 hours) and if he doesn't nap well (mine didn't), I would quickly make friends with the early bedtime (EBT). At 5 months, my DD would only sleep while being carried in an Ergo. At 8.5 months, she still goes to bed every night between 5-6:30 (depending on when her last nap ends) because she tends to take crap naps (e.g. less than an hour each).  Since babies this age need 11-12 hours of night sleep each day, I put her to bed early to account for the middle-of-the-night wakings/feedings.  She typically sleeps until about 6-6:30.  I know it might seem counterintuitive to put them to sleep so early, but I find it is the only way to counteract the overtired state which only gets worse as it accrues. I realize all of this is easier said than done, but I'm coming from a similar place (less the 2nd child).  It may take several days for him to accept the EBT if it is usually much later.  This is what has worked for us.  I should add, however, that we do not share a bed.  DD sleeps in a crib next to my bed.  Sorry this is so long-winded-but I hope there is a kernel of info that you might find useful.  GL!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts