Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'm not totally certain where this goes, but I think the root issue is breastfeeding related....)

So my ds is not quite 5 months old, and I'm back at work 3 days a week. Breastfeeding and pumping has been going well, and he's been switching between breast and bottle fine, I thought.

Then saturday night he wasn't sleeping well, up every hour... I would nurse him back to sleep, at some point in the night he threw up a couple of times. We figured it was because of all the extra eating, he had gotten overfull.

Sunday he was cranky and fussy and obviously overtired, but no throwing up, and right after naps he was himself, so not sick.

Sunday night he slept a little better, I would nurse him back to sleep, and he threw up a couple of times again, once spewing pretty much epic amounts. I was pretty engorged when I woke up.

Monday I had a stellar day of pumping (some advantage to all this mess at least
) and my parents who were watching him that day said he was happy and his normal self. I called the ped, and she agreed that he was likely overeating and suggested time limiting night feeds. Monday after I came home he nursed well. Then later (little more than an hour) he was fussy and I offered him the breast again and he threw up when he was done

Last night he slept terribly, but I was pretty much afraid to feed him. The first time I tried he pretty much emptied an overfill breast and threw up. The second time, I took him off once he wasn't seriously eating, and he kept it down (but that breast seems to produce less too). The rest of the night we mostly walked him

So today I was going to try a little bit of single breast feeds to get the supply thing under control. But he should be stopping when he's full, shouldn't he? Is there anything I can do to help him do that? Or anything I should look for if I have to limit him?

· Registered
2,185 Posts
or... it could be ear infection... Is there any fever? DS would throw up and then be fine all day, but it was night and sometimes naps as well that were the nightmare. He is probably looking to you for comfort.

The other thing I might try is pumping some off the top first, then feeding him. See if that helps. It may help you at least determine if it is an over supply issue before you take measures to cut supply.

· Registered
444 Posts
Hmmm...

When my dd was about 4-5 months, she had a 2 week spell where she threw up every.single.night. Big, big amounts.

Then it stopped, and she's only thrown up 2-3 times since. So weird. I've never really figured out what caused it.
Although, I had a "baby checkup" when it had just started and mentioned to the nurse that dd had thrown up every night for the past 4 or so days, and she said that it could be a growth spurt and it would probably last about 2 weeks. She was dead-on with that prediction anyway!
So maybe just a growth spurt?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.