Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 7 months. He hasn't started crawling yet, but he scoots pretty far. In the past week, he has really been moving in bed. He even fell out earlier this week
(He is ok, no bruising or anything). So now when I put him down before I fall asleep, I make a fortress of pillows and obstacles, but he still gets pretty far. I really want to continue cosleeping but I'm really concerned. Pillows don't seem to be working and we have a king size bed so space shouldn't be an issue. What else can I use and will he move around this much all the time?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
ummm....maybe i should:
: , but DC have fallen several times before their internal monitors kicked in...

we have just the mattress and box spring on the floor with no frame and have had it that way since our first was old enough to move around at night. this is to make the fall less...uh..traumatic???...because it still happens, of course..and i put pillows on the floor on my side to soften the blow. before that i got to the point of not sleeping b/c i was so worried about falls. you go from not sleeping so you can check for breathing to not sleeping so you can keep falls from happening!

but since every situation is different...do you have a bed frame and could you put in the attic or basement for the time that you have a little guy in your bed? and maybe even nix the boxspring. we have no place to put ours and can live with the additional distance they fall. (uhhhh?? can we say "put a bag over your head, kate?) can you pad the space around the bed to make a fall less of a big deal? does he sleep between you and ONLY between you and DP and is there a DP in bed to provide a barrier? we did that with DS1 (i have floppy boobies so nursing from either breast while laying one way was easy...uhhh......
: again?) but for some reason with #2 i hated that so i flip him back and forth from the middle to the outer edge.

i hope you find a happy way to get some rest. worrying about falls makes all the nightwaking NOT waking.....you just nightworry
:

·
Registered
398 Posts
A couple of ideas....

1. I agree with above, if possible take the bed off the frame and down to the box spings or mattress only.

2. Push the bed into the corner of your room using the wall as a bedrail. Then you only need to "block" the bottom of the bed; you can use pillows, or we used a safety-first travel bedrail (the kind that collapse and fold up) on the "short" length. Made it just long enough to "cage in"
baby but didn't trap me.

3. Buy two of the aforementioned bedrails and "cage" the side & bottom of the bed.

I really wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to "fix" the problem ~ it doesn't take long before depth perception (or the memory of falling
: ) kicks in and they remember the edge of the bed. The nice thing about having the bedrails is that when you travel and you are somewhere where it is frowned upon to rearrange/dismantle
the furniture (or some motel where it's glued in place
) you can create the same environment.

HTH!

p.s. Yes, both of my kids have fallen out (more than once!)

·
Registered
162 Posts
We also took the bed off its frame and just have the mattress and box spring on the floor. (One additional plus -- this way the bed makes less noise and shakes less when one of us stirs). The bed is pushed into the corner so that there are only 2 exposed sides. I keep ds on the inside nearest the wall, so I only have to worry about the end, which I block off with a pillow and blankets and my feet by sleeping sort of diagonally.

mskgandn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.