Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been EC'ing since my son was 7 weeks. In addition to making a "ssssss" sound when we think he has to go, I've been giving him the sign language toilet sign since about 3 months whenever he successfully pees in a potty. I've suspected that he was using the sign before now. but today he was really obvious about it a number of times and our misses went down a lot. Yay! My toddler didn't start signing (to nurse--we didn't EC with him) until 8 or 9 months, so for him to start at just under 5 months is so exciting!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellesmama

Yeah!!!!!!!
oh, that's so cute!
I need to start doing the sign w/my dd too. What is the sign anyway, or do you just make something up?
I use the sign for toilet, which is your thumb between your pointer and middle fingers, shaken back and forth. Looks like our kids are just about the same age

·
Registered
485 Posts
That must feel so good. My girl is 4 months old and she is getting so good at holding her pee until I can get her to the toilet. I can't believe I ever thought kids had to be 2 or 3 to learn how to use the potty- my girl will whine on road trips and as soon as we pull over and let her pee she is happy as a clam again.
I'm always amazed at how smart they can be so early. My baby understood the "pssss" sound by the 2nd day of ECing- she would pee on demand. I have been using the potty sign for the last week with her but I haven't gotten any feedback from her that would make me believe that she understands exactly what the sign means yet- but I know the day will come! EC is one of those things that isn't an instant gratification but that is worthwhile in the end IMO.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amyrobynne
I use the sign for toilet, which is your thumb between your pointer and middle fingers, shaken back and forth. Looks like our kids are just about the same age

Thanks, I will start to use it today!

yeah, our kids are about the same age....want to swap a girl for a boy?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellesmama
Thanks, I will start to use it today!

yeah, our kids are about the same age....want to swap a girl for a boy?

Heh heh
Were you as convinced that your second was the opposite gender as I was?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:

Heh heh
you girls are TOO funny! by the way, does he 'actually' make the sign clear or is it a form of the sign.. I have a feeling my guy is making the toilet sign too but Im not sure.. it's kind of a cross between the sign for milk and toilet..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Isra*
you girls are TOO funny! by the way, does he 'actually' make the sign clear or is it a form of the sign.. I have a feeling my guy is making the toilet sign too but Im not sure.. it's kind of a cross between the sign for milk and toilet..

He made the exact sign, then pooped. He has done that a handful of times and sort of makes it often. I try to potty him if he even remotely seems to make it just in case and sometimes it works. But a few times, he carefully put his thumb in place and stared at his hand--it was so obvious. I had no idea he had that much control over his hands yet.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Jumping in here on the discussion. My ds just started signing a few weeks ago for potty. He also says p-p-p. When he signs he just sort of sticks a hand up and waves it back and forth, rather than making the thumb in fist. It is very deliberate. Half of the time before or after he wil say the p sound. It's definitely helped the catch rate. He doesn't sign or say it all the time though, sometimes he still does his non-specific cues which are jabbering, fussiness or not wanting to be put down. Do your potty signing babies sign all, some, or most of the time?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:

Heh heh
Actually, I thought the first was a boy, with the second I knew it was a girl.
Although, my dh was really hoping for a boy........maybe next time!!
:

I am so amazed that your ds can really do the exact sign-------who would have thought at that age. I am very impressed and have been using it with my dd and love the idea of her being able to sign back to me, so she can feel more in control. I will keep you updated on the progress...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wow! That's great about the signing. I didn't even consider starting that part so soon. Ds doesn't have great hand/finger control but I suppose we should start.

When you say you sign right afterwards how do you do it so that Dc sees the sign? Oh, it just occured to me maybe you're using a bblp or something. So far we just hold Ds so his back is to us while he's peeing and we're making the verbal "ptsssss" sound. Would I just reach around in front and hope he sees me making the sign? I can't figure this out
:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valian
Wow! That's great about the signing. I didn't even consider starting that part so soon. Ds doesn't have great hand/finger control but I suppose we should start.

When you say you sign right afterwards how do you do it so that Dc sees the sign? Oh, it just occured to me maybe you're using a bblp or something. So far we just hold Ds so his back is to us while he's peeing and we're making the verbal "ptsssss" sound. Would I just reach around in front and hope he sees me making the sign? I can't figure this out
:
My son's back is usually towards me also, whether he's on a bblp or elsewhere--I just hold my hand a few inches in front of his face and make sure he's looking that direction (lean over to see his eyes if you have to).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.