Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sure! I wonder if I should give away my secrets LOL... they look hard but they're so easy!

You need beads and metallic thread-- 2 ply is best. Use a bead threading needle to string the beads (about 20 depending on length you want and bead size) right onto the spool - DO NOT CUT the thread, then use a small (#1 or #5) crochet hook to chain 10, bring up a bead and chain 5 more, another bead, 5 more chains, etc, ending with 10 chains. Make three strands with at least one bead difference (eg 20, 21, 22) depending how close you want the strands. If you want a "layered look", do a bigger difference of beads. It is really a design-it-yourself pattern, nothing is set in stone, meausre the chain around your neck and see how you like it, then make it longer or shorter. It's really easy!!

I can't really explain how to do the clasps because I don't know the names for the pieces, but it is a basic jewelry making thing. You thread the ends through a thingy on both sides and tie a knot, then glue it and close up the thingy, then add a hook doodad to one side and a whatsit that looks like an 8 to the other side

Michael's has some really cool beads, and they look really pretty with 4mm Swarovski crystals (ebay has the best prices). Hope this helps!!

~Devon

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for sharing that--I just made a bunch--SO easy, so much fun and SO nice looking! I can't wear jewelry normally as my skin gets all itchy etc. but I can wear these no problem--and can make one to match every outfit!!

Thanks so much for showing us all how to do it!!!

Holly

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Devonc, thanks for the tip about swarkovski crystal beads on e-bay. I found a Canadian seller with pretty good BIN prices, and even better prices if you can snipe a good auction! Now to find some nice metallic thread. Any recommendations?

Alison

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Is the ebay seller pesspess? I buy all my beads from them. In the store, they are 18-25 cents each for the 4mm, I get them for 7 cents!!! An average necklace takes 20-30 crystals.

I only use one kind of thread-- it's called "On the Surface New Metallics" 2 ply, and I get it at an indie craft store... Maybe we can get one of our WAHM's to buy a bunch wholesale for us
LOL. They have 2 ply thread at Michael's but it is thinner and I am not sure how well it holds up. I have one necklace made with it and it's doing ok so far.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
It wasn't, but I just checked pess pess out, and the prices are the same, and they're even closer to me geographically (so they would get here sooner!). I haven't bought any yet so I can still shop around! You're not in Canada are you?

Alison

1 - 20 of 37 Posts