Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello mamas,
i am in great need of all of your wise and wonderful advise.
i have a 15 month old who nurses day and night like a mad man, i had no intention of weaning him until he was ready, but i have recently found out that i am pregnant.
my midwife insists that i not nurse more than once or twice a day while pregnant, preferably ween altogether.
now... before you judge my midwife... she has certainly served me well in the past. and i feel like if i can't trust her than who can i trust??? (not counting my doula)

i believe in listening to my body. and my body says...

well... lets get into that later.

right now all i need to hear that it's ok for me to be nursing my baby, while my new one is growing inside me, that i am not starving my new one of precious nutrients...

that i am not choosing one over the other.

my doula, Sarah, has tried numerous time to convince me that it's fine. and i trust her, as much as i do my midwife... which makes this soooo hard!.

but i have my own doubts.
my brain says--
evolution has formed us, as women, to not start mensturating after the birth of a child until we are done nursing, because our bodies know that the odds of having a healthier more vital child come with one who doesn't have to share her meal.
ofcourse, my baby will probably be ok, even if i nurse all the way through my pregnancy, but is that a chance i really want to take??
in europe its perfectly acceptably to smoke through a pregnancy, but i'm not going to do that either.

my heart says--
have you lost it!?!?! cutting frankie off, even at 14 months, is the worst thing you could possibly do!! he is old enough to recognize what you are doing. many moms stop breastfeeding at 3 months, or don't do it at all and their babies are young enough not to be able to fight it. those poor, poor babies, are young enough not to be able to fight it, although, they will lose out on the attachment, the bonding, the nutrition... i could go on and on... for christ's sake, they don't know what they're missing (sorry...i have a tangent tendancy) i guess my point is. i can't do it to frankie.
this might sound strange but...
i don't know how... i ahev no idea how to wean my baby, i guess i always figures that in time it would happen as naturally as it started.
and although i have the reasons in my head, it doesn't feel right.

but at the same time...

my brain (and my midwidfe) say "WEEN!!!"

my heart says otherwise.

i am in need your advise. all of you each of you.

thank you!
thank you all so much for being here!

loveya,

julie

ps,
sorry if this is kinda messy, i'm not going to bother proofreading, because that seems to blur the actual thought as they pored out.
and, i might not be able to check responses right away, but i will when i can.
thanks!!!!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
It's not going to deprive your unborn baby of anything if you keep nursing it's older sibling, but you may suffer.
First the unborn baby is fed,
then breastmilk is made,
then mom gets what's left over.

So make sure you are eating healthfully, taking your vitamins, drinking plenty of fluids and listen to your body.

Blessings,
Heather

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'd listen to your doula. I nursed through pregnancy, and my midwife was 100% fine with it. And my baby, now a one year old, was big (well over 10lbs) and bouncing with health.

I'm sure that others will give you the same reassurance, and maybe some links. I bet LLL has some good advice. I do know from my own research that your body will nourish your nursling and your baby - it is not a mutually exclusive function.

T I don't know of anywhere in Europe where it is considered safe to smoke through pregnancy. That doesn't mean that some women don't do it, just as some American women do, but it's equally taboo there as in the USA.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
there's a book called "adventures in tandem nursing: breastfeeding through pregnancy and beyond."
go get it!
in "mothering your nursing toddler" and in "how weaning happens" there are small sections on nursing through pregnancy and beyond as well.

basically, unless you are told that you cannont have sex -- total pelvic rest -- you are safe to nurse since the contractions are the same.

i am nursing a 23-month-old and am 5 weeks pregnant. as long as i am diligent about consuming adequate amounts of vitamins and nutrients, we're all going to be fine!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Quote:
evolution has formed us, as women, to not start mensturating after the birth of a child until we are done nursing,
I would say you are almost right- evolution has chosen women who don't start menstruating until they are able to keep up the amount of nursing that they are doing and have enough resources to start a new life. So the fact that you can be nursing so much and fertile, means that your body has enough nutrients, energy, to take care of another. We have an amazing amount of good food available to us that was not available when we were evolving not to take care of two infants at the same time. We get fresh fruits and vegtables all year long- that hasn't been available for much of human history.

Quote:
its perfectly acceptably to smoke through a pregnancy, but i'm not going to do that either.
Although some women do smoke through pregnancy with few negative outcomes, we also have research that actually shows negative outcomes from it. BUT I know of no one and no research that shows that any fetus or newborn has been hurt by tandem nursing. Does anyone else?

I nurse through my second pregnancy and he was 9'9 and 11'13 at his two week checkup!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I agree with the others that it is safe for everyone.

I also wanted to add something about your midwife.
Their job is to look out for you and the baby. They want you to get the most rest, sleep, nutrition possible. I would guess they have good intentions about the information they've given you and are doing their job of looking out for you.

If your heart says to continue, that's what I would follow. Sometimes our brains get overloaded with info, but if you can listen to your heart, I believe it will point you in the "right" direction.

Good luck & congrats on the pregnancy!

·
Registered
726 Posts
....and Frankies mama couldn't have timed this thread better for my present needs.

My wife nurses our 19 month old boy---32 pounds, 36" tall.

He's not fat, just very big and powerful-- you should see him push the bassinet filled with toys around the kitchen!!

He nurses like a fiend-- and he's not backing off at all, in fact he seems to be increasing in intensity-- along with all kinds of organic veggies, fruits and meats-- an entire chickenbreast in one meal!

The problem is that we want to have another child but not hamper his style-- so we just want to increase the nutrients that breastfeeding uses. We just want to make sure that the growing baby will get everything needed.

My idea is to juice organic fruits and vegetables. For instance, according to this website

http://www.juicingbook.com/vegetables/

turnips have a good deal of magnesium, which I know is important for calcium absorption, and which is depleted by excessive lactation.

Have any of you done this and/or would any of you be interested in compiling our research efforts to come up with the ideal juicing supplements? I don't want to use pills or powders, just the good natural stuff that nature provides.

Ray

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goodpapa
...turnips have a good deal of magnesium, which I know is important for calcium absorption, and which is depleted by excessive lactation...
I think that's a typo... "Excessive Lactation."

Anyway, extra calcium doesn't seem to prevent bone density loss during lactation, and it also doesn't seem necessary to regain that bone density (and then some) when lactation ceases. See this page for more studies on that topic as well as lists of calcium rich foods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wanted to share my support of your doula. Having not BTDT yet, I can only imagine that nursing while pregnant is very hard on the mama, but not harmful to either child. Your body will give the fetus what they need and then the nursing child - unfortunately you are the one who will only get leftovers! So if you continue to BF (and I encourage you to follow your heart!), be very sure to eat healthfully, drink lots, take a prenatal or other multivit, and get plenty of rest if you can.

I know plenty of mamas who have successfully nursed while pg and beyond - and quite a few have had avid nursers like your DS.

Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am currently nursing my 17 month old dd and am 12 weeks pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant I did a lot of research to be sure that continuing to nurse would be safe, since dd did not seem near ready for weaning. Everything I've found says it's safe to nurse during pregnancy. Chapter 17 in LLL's The Breastfeeding Answer Book talks all about nursing during pregnancy and tandem nursing. Here's a quote from that chapter: "A well-nourished mother should have no difficulty providing for both the unborn baby and the nursing child, if he is more than a year old... it may be necessary to consume extra calories while breastfeeding during pregnancy."

I will say that you will probably feel like you are eating constantly. I eat 8 to 10 times a day, but am confident that I am getting good nutrition, since I am a vegetarian who eats a variety of fresh, organic foods.

Keep in mind that, while I am not trying to criticize your midwife, she is only one person; one opinion. And not the one who's going to have to deal with the consequences of weaning against your hearts wishes and before you feel your child is ready. My midwife, who I consider to be fairly mainstream as far as CNM's go, assured me that it was perfecly safe for me to continue to nurse during pregnancy. So different midwives may have different opinions, but ultimately you are the one who has to do what's best for you and your family.

But don't make a decision based upon misinformation. As long as you do not have specific health concerns such as a history of miscarriages or premature labor. And as long as you are willing to get proper nourishment and rest and deal with the sore nipples that many pregnant women experience (not all pregnant women experience this: I have not, so far). Then there is nothing unsafe with continuing to nurse. Take things one day at a time. If a complication arises, you can cross that bridge when you get there. But follow your heart; it knows best!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts