Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to DC in early April for a conference and will be there a few days.. okay one day past the conference. I am seeing lots of museums/National monuments already as it is part of the conference (for teachers, obviously!)<br><br>
Anyway, is there anywhere I should hit otherwise? I will be there PART of the time by myself, so no night places/ bad areas, BUT are there any shops I should definately hit?<br><br>
What type of weather should I expect?<br><br>
I won't have much money (the hotel is COSTING me!) But I would love to pick up a few things for the kiddos while I am there.. I will be near Downtown.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any natural baby stores in downtown? teacher supply stores? Natural toy stores?<br><br>
I don't travel much anymore..<br><br>
Help me, please!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I can tell you it's hopeless to predict the weather at that time of year! Your best bet is to check online (weather.com, etc) a day or two before you leave. In the past 2 weeks here we've had highs in the 40s, all the way up to 80! Some rain, some hail, some wind, some sun... Good luck!<br><br>
I don't know of any good shops, really, but the museum shops are fun. The Building Museum has some cute toys, as I recall, although the rest of the museum isn't that interesting. The Spy Museum gift shop is supposed to be cool, but I haven't been there myself.<br><br>
Depending on when you get here, take a walk around the tidal basin (near the Jefferson Monument and FDR Memorial) to see the cherry blossoms. They'll be past their peak but probably still pretty. Have fun!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Wow, big trip for you, all the way from Alaska! Hope you have a great time.<br><br>
I agree about the weather- NO WAY to predict! It was in the 80's last week, and today it's in the 30's and snowing. I would suggest dressing in layers!!<br><br>
One thing I thought of is the store, Child's Play, on Connecticut Ave.- <a href="http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/[email protected]&cur_section=sho&property_id=287637" target="_blank">http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...erty_id=287637</a>I have heard it is a great store and carries very intersesting items for kids and adults- you might enjoy browsing in there and finding something for your kiddos to bring home. plus it looks like it's metro accesible.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies that gets me on the right track!<br>
Any teacher supply stores? Cloth diaper shops?<br><br>
I just found out that I am getting a BIG tax return, and am going to be able to spend a lot more than I thought! WOOHOO!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you're going to Child's Play (which is a great store), you should also go to Politics & Prose bookstore down the street (5015 Connecticut). It has a big children's section that's lots of fun to browse in. (In the interest of full disclosure, I used to work there!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts