Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm kinda sorta new I guess. I'm CDing my 2 year old and 4 week old. My 4 week old outgrew her NB stuff and we have little $$ okay I'm lying. No $$ to buy a whole new stash for smalls, so I'm using infant prefolds. I cannot get them no matter how hard I try to fit inside a prorap and the bed is ALWAYS soaking overnight
makes dh VERY upset. So what CHEAP(read we are broke) covers can I use over prefolds that are very reliable and hold up well. Thanks!
Poetic

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoeticNSoul
So I'm kinda sorta new I guess. I'm CDing my 2 year old and 4 week old. My 4 week old outgrew her NB stuff and we have little $$ okay I'm lying. No $$ to buy a whole new stash for smalls, so I'm using infant prefolds. I cannot get them no matter how hard I try to fit inside a prorap and the bed is ALWAYS soaking overnight
makes dh VERY upset. So what CHEAP(read we are broke) covers can I use over prefolds that are very reliable and hold up well. Thanks!
Poetic
Hi and
to the cd world! Have you tried fastening the prefold with a snappi? I used infant prefolds with a snappi in a ProRap cover when my dd was little. They worked really well for us. Snappis are pretty inexpensive. If you send me your mailing addy I will send you a snappi.

HTH!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 1 lone snappi that my 4 year old is fascinated with, so half the time I can't find it
: so in those cases, i just lay the cover in. When I do find it ( usually tangled in her doll's hair) I use it, but i just can't get the legs right and I doubt I ever will. DH much prefers AIOs, but that is just not happening on this budget LOL. We have one FMBG nb AIO and I'm afraid she's gonna bust out of it when she poops LOL
Poetic

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoeticNSoul
I have 1 lone snappi that my 4 year old is fascinated with, so half the time I can't find it
: so in those cases, i just lay the cover in. When I do find it ( usually tangled in her doll's hair)
: that is pretty cute.Does she think it's a brush? :LOL

I have no prefold advise but I am sure by tomorrow you will have lots of help.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Do you know anyone who would knit or crochet a wool soaker for you? Yarn can sometimes be found cheap locally. What about sewing your own butt sweaters from a wool sweater you wouldn't mind cutting up, or finding at goodwill to cut up?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I KWYM about only having 1 snappi...I did that early on it was so frustrating everytime I needed it, it was lost! :LOL One thing I wanted to ask is have you fanned out the butt area when you lay the prefold in the diaper? That can help get the legs tighter. Also have you tried laying another prefold inside the one for greater absorbency at night?
Also ProRaps has seconds of their covers for $4.00 each. Just give them a call and ask about the seconds. I really loved my proraps and never had leaks with them.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I swear snappi's have minds of their own ...they wander off ... sneak under the couch ... or wherever the last place I'd ever look is ...

a snappi would definately help make the prefold fit trimmer ... what kind of a fold are you using ...someone here ought to have a link to some pictures of differrent ways of folding a prefold soo they fit trimmer.

do you sew? I second the wool cover ... one from a recycled 100% wool sweater (find the softest one you can at a local thrift shop) will work VERY well ...

HMMM ... where's the diaper fairy when you need her? LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Do you know anyone who would knit or crochet a wool soaker for you?
I don't know anyone locally who knits. I was teaching myself to knit and crochet. I gave up on knitting, I just can't get it. I can kinda crochet. I can do the basic sticthes but can never get my ends to look right.

Quote:
do you sew? I second the wool cover ... one from a recycled 100% wool sweater (find the softest one you can at a local thrift shop) will work VERY well ...
I have a machine and serger so I guess I can sew LOL, as long as you don't want me to sew something useable

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with everyone else on making a wool sweater into a soaker. We've had really good luck with wool.
Another idea- Do you have a Babies R Us near you? I bought some cheap covers from there that are similar to the Bumpy ones. The brand is I think Especially for Baby or something like that. They have velcro tabs and mine have worked great! They are like 2 for $7.00.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.