Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been lurking for just a little bit and thought I would introduce myself. I'm 34 and 27 weeks. I am having a lot of problems trying to come up with a good birth plan. I'm in Nebraska and it is illegal for CNM to attend homebirths. Other midwives have also been sent cease and desist orders. As a result the nearest CPM is 3.5 hours from me. She would be willing to make the trip, but between her fees and the travel expenses, she is out of my price range.<br><br>
I have had 2 very nice hospital births with a CNM. I labored at home with each and was only at the hospital for maybe 45 minutes before each was born into the water and caught by dh. IMO, for me, the hospital was very unnecessary.<br><br>
this is my last baby and I want a homebirth. So I am left with UC as my only option. DH isn't on board at all. He doesn't even understand wanting a homebirth with a midwife. He says that my hospital births were nice and there's nothing wrong with doing that again, just in case something were to go wrong.<br><br>
So I guess what I am going to do is to order some homebirth supplies and labor at home as usual but then just 'accidently' forget to tell dh I think we should go to the hospital. I would really prefer to have him onboard with it, but I don't think that is going to happen : (<br><br>
anyway that is my story.<br><br>
Karen

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really am comfortable with the idea of UC. I can see the hospital from my back window. I have very easy labors until transition and the worst 'complication' I have ever had was ds #2 was posterior and never turned. But I'm doing exercises to help that this time. And even with him being posterior, I was able to push him out in about 4 pushes.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
hey! congrats and welcome! check out the uc support thread too

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Welcome to the UC board. I'm sorry you are not in the best situation, I hope we can be some support to you in dealing with it!<br><br>
I'd like to suggest that you at least prepare your husband for you not making it to the hospital in time. It's a good idea for *anybody*, but especially in your case, it sounds like you have quick labors? If he's so all about safety, surely he'll be able to recognize that being informed about what happens in an "unplanned" unassisted birth is prudent. That way, at least he won't be as likely to freak out while the baby is suddenly unexpectedly coming out, you know, or as quick to call 911 or some such thing. Have you read Emergency Childbirth by Gregory White? It was very good for my husband, quick and dry read, and reassured him that normal birth is not a big scary ordeal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>fourlittlebirds</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;"><span style="font-size:xx-small;">Welcome to the UC board. I'm sorry you are not in the best situation, I hope we can be some support to you in dealing with it!</span><br><br>
Thanks for the welcome : )<br><br><span style="font-size:xx-small;">I'd like to suggest that you at least prepare your husband for you not making it to the hospital in time. It's a good idea for *anybody*, but especially in your case, it sounds like you have quick labors?</span><br><br>
No, I have rather long labors. ds #1 was 21 hours, ds #2 was 19 hours. But both were mild until transition. I labored on Dec. 26th with #2, and we went out shopping for bargains most of the day, had a late lunch at Ruby Tuesdays and then went home to get some rest. I jut never bothered going to the hospital until I started feeling the need to push.<br><br><br><br><br><span style="font-size:xx-small;">If he's so all about safety, surely he'll be able to recognize that being informed about what happens in an "unplanned" unassisted birth is prudent. That way, at least he won't be as likely to freak out while the baby is suddenly unexpectedly coming out, you know, or as quick to call 911 or some such thing. Have you read Emergency Childbirth by Gregory White? It was very good for my husband, quick and dry read, and reassured him that normal birth is not a big scary ordeal.</span></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br><br>
I haven't read it yet, but was planning to. I am going to order it when I order all the birth supplies. I just don't know how to get dh to read it. He's going to tell me that the hospital is very close and there will be time for us to get to the hospital. . . . hmmmmm . . . .thinking. . . . If he uses that excuse I can turn it around and use it right back on him. LOL If there is enough time for us to get to the hospital then there shouldn't be anything wrong with a homebirth!<br><br>
He knows that birth isn't a big scary ordeal. He was with me for both of my natural water births. But he also knows that sometimes things can go bad, and he wants to be prepared for that 1%. I, on the other hand, want to plan for the 99% chance of having a normal birth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts