Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
I've just recently started looking into a job that I could do from home.I haven't finished college yet and have only had a couple of jobs to help make ends meet so there really isn't any experience there.I have been studying my options and want to try e-bay.<br>
Where do I start?What do I need to learn?Can I actually make a living doing this(for me this would be about $1,500.00 a month right now.)?Would doing it for 20 hours a week be enough or would I need to be able to spend more time on it?I have a bunch of children's clothes and want to start with selling that so that there wouldn't be much cost for me to start up.Anyway just really need advice opinions and anything else that all of you could give me.<br>
Thank you,<br>
Sonya

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
IMO, there is unlimited potential in selling on ebay. I bought a book called "The ebay Bible", and it had a lot of good tips for getting started. It helps to find certain products and learn all about them. I yard sale, I buy all sorts of things to sell, but one thing I have found that I can sell a lot of is Vera Bradley purses. People eat those up. Really, any high end items will sell. I've sold quite a bit of North face and Patagonia jackets, Earth SHoes and Birkenstocks, andKelty backpacks. I just sold an old Kitchenaid mixer that I got for $3 for 36. High-end kids clothes sell for a lot, too.<br>
You have to try not to pay too much for things. Yard sales are great because people sell stuff for nothing. I don't like to pay more than $1 for most things like shoes or clothes, and definitely not more than $2-3 for a jacket or shoes. Once a week I visit a Goodwill store, although their prices are sometimes a little high for what you can sell an item for.<br>
ebay has boards you can check out and learn a lot. Learn as much as you can before you start.<br>
Good luck, I would be glad to share my experiences with you. I've been selling only for about 6 months, but I have found a few things I can consistently sell for a big profit. If you have a lot of time (especially without interruption-like of a toddler!), you can really make a go of it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I do things a lot liek the firts poster to reply does.<br>
I never pay over $1. I look for thrift and gaage sale items that cna sell for profit- all my opening bids are $5, so if they sell I never make a loss. you have to consider Ebay's fees. you have to learn how to make a good listing. you have to learn what shipping wil cost you so you can give buyers fair quotes and not undercharge yourself either- including the cost of your packing materials, and maybe a postage service or value of your time.<br>
Ebay has message boards.. "seller central" is a busy one. also go to "clothing and accesories" if you think that will be your main category.<br><br>
as far as what to sell, baby clothes are about the cheapest thing on ebay. I do't reocmend it. everybopdy and their mom is posting in that category. great delas for buyers, very little profit available.<br>
I sell non-fiction books (esp textbooks) and new or like-new adult clothing. ocassionally I sell baby items (underpriced garage sale finds. currently have a baby bjorn up. bought for 5, current bid 35, not over yet!)<br><br>
get Turbolister! it's ebay's free software and it saves me hours of time! I can write 5-10 auctionsin the time it used ot take for 1! and I can do them at ngiht when baby is asleep and then upload them to ebay during daytime hours (when I want them to start)<br><br>
I don't think 20 hours a week is enough. I feel like I work morning to night, every second I'm not with the baby is working. but maybe that adds up to less than 20, I don't know. don't forget all the time you will spend packaging the items!<br><br>
I feel that the income is truly unlimited. I am constricted only by how much time I put into it.<br><br>
hope that helps! let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another good idea (if you like shopping) is to stop by places like Big Lots and other closeout stores that a lot of people don't know about. Just look for great bargains and sales. I had a good eye for prices and price changes so when I used to have a lot of time I would go to different stores every day and check out the sales. I found some Fisher Price car seats that were discontinued at big lots for $40 that ended up selling for no less than $100 (some more) I bought out the stores!<br>
I also belong to Costco and the one near me has some excellent clearance deals on different things. I can get dresses for $3 on occasion and have bought 30 pc Scrollie sets that would retail for over $30 for $4 and sold them on ebay for $20. I have gotten a whole lot of stuff from Costco... totally worth the membership, if you have one near you ( Costco tip, items ending in .00 price are on major clearance, items ending in .97 price are also on sale, items with an * by the name are going to be replaced with something new)<br>
I think if you had enough time you could make a whole lot of money on ebay, you just have to see what people are buying and find it. Turbo lister probably IS a great idea, I have never tried it but I know sometimes I spend an entire afternoon listing things.<br>
Also, have the auction end on a sunday...<br>
That's all from me, I'll be checking this thread though cause I'm curious to hear more tips...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,<br>
I was thinking of this last night so I looked around on e-bay this morning.I would love to be able to make arts and crafts for sell.<br>
I like to do mainly plastic canvas.I know that I'd have to have things made up before I put them on to sell and that would involve my time so I might start off with something else first. But I think that this would actually be something that I could do that I love and I wouldn't have to go out much either.(I'm an introvert and pretty shy with people in person.)So I have never done arts and crafts shows much,that and it is hard with four children to do something like that and get that much stuff made.What does everybody think?Good idea?I could deal with other items too,because from what I read on the message boards there are probably slower times for crafts then there are for other things.<br>
Talk to all of you later.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I'm also thinking of selling some things on e-bay. My husband and son have been selling guitars and electrical equipment on e-bay for some time, so I thought I'd try my had at it also. I am a weaver and fiber arts artist. I'm not much of a salesperson and I have a hard time finding a market for my art. I'm doing a craft show in November and plan to put what doesn't sell there up on e-bay. Have any of you had luck selling art and crafts on e-bay?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts