Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know your opinions on hiding veggies. DS (6) has specifically asked me NOT to put carrots in cake, zuchinni in brownies, etc. and I do it anyway. DH says I am wrong to lie to DS. what do you all think?

He will eat the food if I tell him there are no veggies and refuses if I say there are. so I *have to* lie if I want him to eat it....

·
Registered
669 Posts
nak - well if it were something really healthy that he would otherwise eat i would definitely lie to him lol but for the sake of brownies and/or cake it wouldn't bother me that he refused the treat - his loss kwim, and it also keeps the peace with your dh. And I would also not be in any rush to make those treats without the veggies. If my boys ever saw the quantity of steamed greens that go into their popsicle "treats" they would never eat them! I just call them green and so far they're happy with that

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I am hoping not to offend but there is no way I would do that. If my daughter caught me lying to her and it affected her trust of me then I would be devastated. Even if she didn't "lose" trust, I would hate to chip away at it.

I would probably still put the veggies in but I would tell him the truth and let him decide whether he still wanted to eat it.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
love beads you are not offending - this is my dh's opinion as well - that it is 100% wrong to lie no matter what

ETA - whoops unfinished thought... that's why I'm asking

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kristen I also do it with regular food - like spagetti sauce...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I definitely think it's okay to hide if they haven't "forbidden" you
If they have, it becomes a stickier issue IMO. I don't think I'd lie about it unless there were seriously pressing health issues that made it very important.

-Angela

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I tell my kids there are no onions in foods that have onions, same with garlic and a few other things they don't like. They eat the foods anyhow. If they see the food they don't like then they can pick it out.

My kids are now starting to eat more of the foods that have it added and they have decided that about half the time they do like that food.

My parents did the same to us, it never caused us to not trust them or hurt our relationship. If my kids lost trust in me from telling them there was none of a healthy food added to a meal that actually had it then IMO there are bigger issues going on.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'd have to say I'm leaning towards Carrie's thoughts on this, in that I think there are other more serious issues if this kind of thing becomes a trust problem. I sneak all kinds of foods into smoothies, sauces, breads, etc. But then, my kids usually don't outright ask me about it, and when they do, they forget by the next time I make that item that I told them the truth about it. However, with DS2, it is the ONLY way he will eat vegetables and most protein. He would live on yogurt, fruit, pasta and sweet stuff (quick breads, etc.) if I allowed it, never touching a veggie or a piece of meat or an egg or beans.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Angela, he caught me doing it once and cried about it! seriously, cried!

and he has outright forbidden me and asks me every time.

My dh is very upset that I have out and out lied to him and A)told him there were no hidden veggies in the food and B) promised him (promised!) I'd make the foods without the hidden veggies.

and I guess I'm feeling guilty too - or else I wouldn't be asking.

OTOH I really want him to eat the veggies!!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
nak
i hide veggies in food.
i also don't tell dh when i add something he thinks he doesn't like.
more often then not he loves it and has no idea.
it's not as if i'm feeding a vegetarian some meat.
i'm merely hiding some pureed spinach.
if they can *tell* and it makes the experience of eating it terrible then (in my mind) it's not okay.
if they are eating healthier and are none the wiser, i'm not going to tell.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
If he's that worked up about it then I don't think I'd do it. I'd let the whole thing rest for while, making honest food
Then in a few months when things have died down start FUN veggie recipies. Ever try zuchinni boats? mmmm. Let him help make them and then eat them or not. I bet this is a short lived stage and I'd say his emotional health is worth more than hidden veggies right now.

-Angela

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm assuming he likes the brownies and cake? Why don't you try telling him that the veggies are part of the recipe and that's the way it is. When it's zuchini bread for dessert, don't offer an alternative. I think after a while he will miss his cake and brownies and will come around. I guess I would have a hard time lying if I was asked outright. But I wouldn't give in either and make the recipes without veggies.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was hiding veggies in foods and finally one day managed to convince my nephew that veggies are AWESOME. (How did I do this? I mentioned all the time how strong and healthy they are and then one night my hubby and son were digging into some mixed veggies with lima beans (you know the frozen kind?) and suddenly he wanted to be like them. Semi-brainwashing I think. Heh.) If my seven-year-old nephew will eat it, sometimes my toddler will too. And my husband will eat anything if he can pour salt on it. -__-

Really though, I'm torn. It depends on the child I think? My nephew's diet is so highly processed, full of fat and sodium that when he comes over I will do ANYTHING to get some vitamins into the kid, including lie if I have to. As morally wrong as that may seem to some. My son is too young to understand most of what I'm saying. And my husband, well, like I said, if he can pour salt on it he'll eat it.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
No, I would not lie to my child who asked me not to do something that was not life or death. And zucchini in brownies doesn't fit that definition to me.

I would leave it for a couple of months, then start working with him to try veggies in different foods again. It could even be a game, you know, how much carrot can you add before he can taste it? What vegetable does he think is hiding in the spaghetti sauce?

Sooo many children avoid vegetables, I do wonder why. Perhaps there is something they know, that they have learned from their bodies, that we don't understand.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i would feel bad if they found out my lie, i may just hand them the cake and when they say yum or something, tell them whats in it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i would NOT hide veggies.

i would put them in the cake and tell them. if they want the cake they eat the carrots.

also, a 5yo is testing limits, not capable of deciding never to eat any vegetable. it is about control. i would not hide them. i would not force eating them. i would just keep offering new foods and let him eat what he wants.

my kids at that age were always willing to try more foods if they helped cook or they chose a new veggie and a new fruit from the farmer's market or they were pretending to be a giraffe (munching spinach from the bag at costco, shocking passers-by

we were vegan for years and now eat dairy and eggs too but my kids love produce
keep trying and be patient!

i think no lying is best!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wouldn't lie about it, since your ds has made it clear that it's a big issue for him. They're just vegetables. It's not a big deal. Holding off on the carrots and zuchinni for a few months won't kill him, and it's not worth arguing with your dh, either. Just my 2 cents (and kind of colored by the fact that I have a hard time eating my veggies, too!
)

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I'd keep putting veggies in the food and be honest about it. He can either like it or lump it
: He'll probably decide to go back to eating the cake and brownies after missing out a few times.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flminivanmama
Angela, he caught me doing it once and cried about it! seriously, cried!

and he has outright forbidden me and asks me every time.

My dh is very upset that I have out and out lied to him and A)told him there were no hidden veggies in the food and B) promised him (promised!) I'd make the foods without the hidden veggies.

and I guess I'm feeling guilty too - or else I wouldn't be asking.

OTOH I really want him to eat the veggies!!
May I ask, why is your son so distressed about vegetables

1 - 20 of 24 Posts