Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dd is ready for a high chair
: and after doing some research i really like the "rochelle" wood ones. they look very sturdy and have a non-toxic finish. i also kind of like the svan(sp?) highchair. i think its by baby bjorn. i like that its convertible.

i don't want a plastic chair so it seems the choices are limited. i wish my husband could make one but alas, he is disabled.

has anybody had experience with either of these chairs? are there any others out there i don't know about? any suggestions would be welcome!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
We ended up with a wooden high chair (plastic tray though- great choice) from IKEA. It was TONS cheaper than the other wooden highchairs on the market. We were very happy with it.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shell024
We just have a $20 plastic
: Safety1st booster attached to a chair. Works fine, is portable, washable, and storeable.
I think that's the same one we have. We love it!

I don't know if anyone makes wooden booster seats that strap to a chair, but I highly recommend that style over the full-sized high chairs. Much more portable, and easier to have the kid eating with the family since you can strap it to pretty much any chair.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I love my Svan but it broke the bank. The pads are also way overpriced.
I do like that it's so adjustable & it's a beautiful piece of real furniture.
If I lived close to an Ikea I'd check their's out for sure.
I got mine @ highchairs.com - they have a pretty good selection of wooden chairs and (I believe) free shipping.

oh yeah- I forgot to mention the one thing I hate about this chair...the tray is tiny.
It sucks for coloring & projects which is pretty lame.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
my mom got us one at ikea.. its white and plastic and simple.. my son has a wooden chair but it has no tray so its not safe for her.. i looked all over for a wooden one for her but im a low incom momma and if i cant find used stuff that is affordable then im out of luck.. i love craigslist by the way..! we use our highchair quite often.. shes 8 months and starting to get into everything but doesnt want to be slung so much.. so its a great tool..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have one of those fisher price/safety first plastic booster/highchair. I love it. She can sit at the table with me and we can put it on the floor. (I'm not a table person) I love the fact that it's so portable and if it gets sticky, I can just toss it in the tub and spray it down. I love the idea of a wooden highchair but in reality, I needed something that took up less space and was easier to clean.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
We have a fisher price booster highchair. It was great for a while. Until G started banging his feet on the tray leaving bruises. So we took off the tray and pushed him up to the table. Great until yesterday morning when he managed to push him and the chair over. What a terrible morning we had! So, now DH wants to get a giant high chair but I think we should just keep the booster between the table and a wall so he can't topple it over again.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If I could purchase one and only one high chair, it would be the tripp trapp chair by stokke.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:

: Safety1st booster attached to a chair. Works fine, is portable, washable, and storeable.
This is what we use too and we like it a lot.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
We have a cheapy Safety 1st booster seat and don't much care for it. At 8 months ds is already getting big for it. The tray on ours also sticks badly so it is a huge pain to get him out when he wants out quickly. On the other hand I loved the cheap Graco high chair we had with dd. I used a wooden one that sil had for her dds a time or 2 and while I loved the look of it using it was actually not as easy. The tray on the Graco high chair was much bigger. That gave more room for coloring and painting. It also gave more room for toddler self feeding that isn't always 100% coordinated.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Whatever you get, go for easy-cleaning.

We have the Fisher-Price Easy-Clean high chair and love it! The straps come off really easily (which is an excellent feature 'cause the straps always get scruddy), then you just put the straps and the tray in the dishwasher, The seat cover comes off too and is machine washable. I also find woden high chairs goergeous, but the nice ones are really pricey for us.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:

Same here!!! Ds loves to sit at the table with us during meal times and the high chair that we recieved as a gift only came up to the corner... we love our booster seat!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.