Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking 160mg of Domperidone for about 3 weeks now (son is 7 weeks old) and I am feeling a little nervous about taking such a high dose. I tried all of the other doses (90, 120, 140) and only 160 really made a difference. I am thinking about weaning off of it because I am worried about any side effects to my baby. Has anyone taken a high dose for a long time? Has anyone weaned off of it and still had a good supply?

I had thought that I would stay on it for a long time, but I am beginning to feel that if my body cannot do it on it's own, I may just have to come up with an alternative method.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I heard Dr. Hale speak i dont recall too large of dose of domp but have you also tried a hospital grade pump for after you bf to stimulate more milk production or in between feeds. You can check his website.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I took dom for over a year - although not as much as you do - and am absolutely convinced of its safety.
If you're concerned, you could e-mail Dr. Jack Newman, the pediatrician who pioneered the use of dom for lactation - there's an address on his web site - for reassurance.
As he notes, the amount of dom that gets to the baby through your milk is TINY and much less than when dom is prescribed to babies directly for reflux.
You may also find that you can wean to a lower dose when your supply is established. I took 90 mg for a long time but didn't notice any supply dip until I dropped below 30 mg.
HTH

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took a the same dose (160mg.) with my middle son and it was what finally helped me get up to a full supply. Over time I was able to wean back down and ultimately wean off the domperidone (at 4 months PP) without it hurting my supply. Around 3 months, milk production stops being so hormonally driven, and you should find yourself able to at least back off the dom somewhat by then.

GL, mama!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
I took dom for over a year - although not as much as you do - and am absolutely convinced of its safety.
If you're concerned, you could e-mail Dr. Jack Newman, the pediatrician who pioneered the use of dom for lactation - there's an address on his web site - for reassurance.
As he notes, the amount of dom that gets to the baby through your milk is TINY and much less than when dom is prescribed to babies directly for reflux.
You may also find that you can wean to a lower dose when your supply is established. I took 90 mg for a long time but didn't notice any supply dip until I dropped below 30 mg.
HTH
I also took 160mg for about ten months. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, although I share the OP's trepidation about it as there hasn't been any studies about the long term effects. Dr. Newman helped to ease my concerns, although my family doc ordered me off of it once she knew how long I'd been on it. She's not convinced that it's safe in the looooong term, but I am confident that a year is okay ... at least, that's what I tell myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.