Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I found this <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21Epilepsy-t.html?ref=homepage&src=me&pagewanted=all" target="_blank">New York Times article</a> fascinating... It is written by the father of a child with epilepsy. His seizures have been greatly reduced and controlled by strict adherence to a ketogenic diet that is 90% fat. Most interestingly, it is administered by a mainstream doctor at Mass General, and not a "fringe" or alternative medicine idea.</p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>I find this so intresting, thanks for sharing! I love the idea of diet as a tool to repair health...it is the base of so much ya know?</p>

·
Registered
345 Posts
<p>nak so reply short but -</p>
<p> </p>
<p>my 3yo niece has been on this diet since about 6mos old due to a seizure disorder related to brain injury at birth. she was able to be taken off several of her more sedating meds soon after she started the diet, and is doing extremely well on the diet, much better than when she was on phenobarbitol.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>diet was prescribed by a mainstream neuro. apparently, this was the standard treatment before there were drugs to do the job.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>and interstingly, she is not at all overweight, despite the fact that she consumes almost a stick of butter a day!</p>

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
<p><span style="font-size:10pt;"><span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">Years ago we tried to put our daughter on this diet instead of giving her anti-seizure drugs.  We saw four neuros, all of them refused.  They would only use the ketogenic diet as a last resort if drugs didn't work.  We were very disappointed but afraid to try the diet on our own without the support of the doctors; even a slight variation from the diet can result in seizures.  My daughter's seizures were controlled by meds but the meds caused her to lived in a drugged up fog.  I'm glad to read they are continuing to research the keto diet and that it might help with other medical conditions.</span></span></span></p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts