Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to cut back on my carbs 'cuz they make me gain weight so I've been eating a more high fat, high protein diet. My only carbs are at breakfast which is typically yogurt w/ fruit and a slice of sprouted multi grain bread with butter AND peanut or almond butter. And maybe a fruit during the day. Changing to NT is a drastic change in my diet as before NT I was eating a lot of refined sugars and flours. But I feel so much better! I just want to make sure I am not doing anything to affect my milk supply because my dd is only 3 months old. I want to nurse her for a long time!!! Does anyone know if I should worry about eating less carbs??

·
Registered
867 Posts
:

I'm interested to hear this too-bc I was planning on doing this when I bf Cody when he gets here.

(I think as long as you aren't in ketosis, you're ok, aren't you? but like said, I don't know so, I'm waiting for an expert to show up!)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Amber,

That's not really a low carb diet. It's lower than you're used to, but two pieces of fruit, bread, and yogurt is not all that low. And the biggest issue with breastfeeding is the nutrients.

Amanda

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoebird
you can become your own expert.

Usually I wouldn't hesitate but when it affects a baby (and not mine!), well, you know. (I've reading alot and learning about NT only since about March, so I figure you guys know a lot more than me. Besides, it's better to keep my mouth shut and let everyone think I'm an idiot than open and prove them correct, right?
)

Besides, I haven't gotten DH sold on NT just yet-he thinks I'm walking on the wilder side of reality
and that it's a pregnancy thing (um, no, dear, it's not. Sorry).

Expert is a title better received from someone else than taken voluntarily, too, I think. (But thanks for the reminder!)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurel723
Usually I wouldn't hesitate but when it affects a baby (and not mine!), well, you know. (I've reading alot and learning about NT only since about March, so I figure you guys know a lot more than me. Besides, it's better to keep my mouth shut and let everyone think I'm an idiot than open and prove them correct, right?
)
I totally understand!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurel723
Besides, I haven't gotten DH sold on NT just yet-he thinks I'm walking on the wilder side of reality
and that it's a pregnancy thing (um, no, dear, it's not. Sorry).
Sounds 'just' like my DH!!!!
"Kefir?? What's Kefir??" Sigh and he shakes his head!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have been following the NT pregnancy/nursing diet now for over 3 years and look like it will be continuing for another few years.

Nutrient dense is the key. I don't eat very many carbs at all. Baked Oatmeal in the morning and maybe some brown rice with dinner, a slice of bread a couple of times a week.

As long as the carbs are properly soaked/sprouted than you don't need to worry. I don't think we NEED carbs in our diets. Most of us get more than enough.

I agree about the Ketosis...I don't think it is healthy to get to that point but you REALLY have to go LOW carb and for a while to get to that point. If you are worried you can get the little strips at your local drug store just to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.