Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies,
I am happy to announce that I am currently expecting a new babe in early October. I have Prince, who is 5 and Princess, who is soon to be 3! My how time flies.

A little bg info:
I had Prince when I was 17 years old. He was considered HR due to my pre-eclampsia. I went into labor early a few times but they were able to stop the labor from progressing. @ 37 weeks, I went into labor again, and efforts were made to stop labor, but they were called off. I was in labor for 48hrs, with very slow progression. The Dr. broke my bag of waters and set the 24 hr clock. Again, there was very slow progression. I was not allowed any more pain medication and my epidural had long since worn off (due to being started early in attempts at lowering my blood pressure.) the deadline came and went-with no luck. We tried everything to get him out. Long story short, I was given "failure to progress complicated by pre-eclampsia" and taken to c-section. It was a very traumatic experience for me, as I had complications after delivery. My pre-e did not go away after birth, and I was dc-ed 4 days post delivery, only to be re-admitted the next day, and in-pt for another week.

Princess was born when I just turned 20. She was HR due to hyperemeis and PTL at 5 months+ managed with steroid shots, medications and bed rest (not easy with a three year old- he was the reason the Dr. didn't admit me until delivery.) She was a pre-scheduled c-section due to the Dr. not wanting to to vbac with the HR status. @ 37 weeks she was delivered, while the ob and nurses casually talked about football- and my blood pressure dropped dangerously low. Another traumatic experience.

Since then, I have developed recurrent SVT, autonomic dysfunction, inappropriate sinus tachycardia, and syncope. With those issues this pregnancy is considered high risk. I do *not* want to go through another C-section. I have found a CMP who has agreed to take me and do a home birth. The only issue with this is cost, and the fact that I'm kind of uneasy about not being in a hospital with all my current issues.

I wish more hospitals allowed women to attempt vbac. Are there any other women with similar issues? I could use some advice and support.

Thanks ladies :]

· Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm a huge homebirth advocate, but it's not clear to me that it's the best choice in your situation. I personally wouldn't choose for a VBAC homebirth unless I had no other risk factors.

Do you have the option of a midwife-assisted natural birth in a hospital or hospital-affiliated birth center?

· Registered
2,204 Posts
Those issues will risk her out of most hospital based CNM practices. I am really not sure that midwives in general are trained to deal with issues like this--many OBs would refer to MFM.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
That's a good point. I was forgetting that lots of American hospitals won't even allow VBACs these days.

Do you have the option of a hospital VBAC where you live? Is this a case of home VBAC or repeat C-section?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd go over to the tribal area here and to ICAN and see if there are VBAC friendly docs in your area/surrounding areas. I'm pro-HBAC even in what are normally considered high risk situations, but your issues sound complex and potentially life threatening and, personally, I'd like to be as close to medical care when my body is laboring in your shoes.
BUT, I honestly don't know a lot about your issues besides a quick google search. Are they easily managed? Are you medicated for them at all? Are the medications safe for pregnancy? Have you had a chat with a cardiologist/speciality doc about how pregnancy/childbirth might affect these ailments?
I have to remember that sometimes things look serious on paper, but in actuality are relatively harmless...

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you ladies. Where is the "tribal" area?

My conditions affect my heart and my autonomic nervous system. While they were pretty well controlled with medication, since I have been pregnant, they have become more persistant.

I see a cardoelectrophysiologist, however, he has recently jumped ship (left the office) so I am under temporary care of a cardiologist (with whom I have an appointment with today)

I would *love* to try a natural birth at a hospital. Giving birth at home scares me, I will admit. If I did not have these issues- I would def. try homebirth but I'm afraid in my situation the risks outweigh the benefits.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
When you say CMP, do you mean CPM? (certified professional midwife). Otherwise, not sure what CMP means.

I have to ask what you homebirth care provider has said about monitoring your issues during pregnancy and birth. I'm not all that familiar with the issues you name--and yet it sure sounds like things that could truly make you high risk, and in real need of med. help for your birth. Has she mentioned what she proposes by way of 'covering' you with respect to your health problems??? Does she just believe that they do not warrant any special monitoring/testing during pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period?

Maybe she knows more than I do about your health problems, maybe she has very good medical resources at hand--if so, great. I would just want to know that she DOES know plenty, and DOES have some med backup, and is not just going on faith in you and in the birth process without being ready to see and adequately respond to potential problems for you/baby.

· Registered
322 Posts
Triceratops--

have you looked into wheat allergy and/or gluten intolerance? i know--you might think i'm nuts...but what you are describing is similar to what my best friend went through...she also has mitral valve prolapse and *had* fibromyalgia and complicated migraines...but most of the things you are describing went away after she was treated for zinc poisoning first and then eliminated all wheat. it was/is very interesting.

i'm right there w/you if we do this again...and not sure i'm comfy w/hb for myself or someone in your situation.

best wishes!

mrsfru

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So sorry for my typo. I mean CPNM (certified professional nurse midwife)

I am interested in the gluten free idea, could you possibly share more on that?

The cpnm I see only does home births. She does not practice in any hospital setting- though she does transferr patients to the hospital if complication arises. I have called a few local obgyn offices to set up initial appointments and am expecting calls back within the next few days.

All I want is the *chance* at a vba2c even if it's in an OR- just the chance to try on my own. I feel so. Cheated for my last two births - I feel as if my body failed me and my babies. A nurse told me that "some women are just not meant to have babies" which really hurt me...

Are there any other women who have gone through something similar?

· Registered
581 Posts
Where do you live? I know in my area there are a couple of hospitals and perinatologists that will allow high risk patients a trial of labor. Have you gotten connected to your local ICAN chapter? They could possibly help lead you towards vbac friendly doctors and hospitals in your state/area.

· Registered
5,511 Posts
I would say figure out what hospitals do VBACs in your region and then - go there - most likely they will have a perinatologist and that is the type of OB you should be seeing
this is a rare enough condition that you will probably not find a homebirth midwife who has dealt with someone who has had this or if so probably not more than 1 client.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Just wanted to reiterate that your local ICAN chapter can be very helpful in locating a care provider that will attend VBA2C, and can also help you locate VBAC-friendly OBs and hospitals. Check www.ican-online.org for info on that. I also wanted to assure you that you CAN have a really great natural hospital VBAC. I did, and if you search this forum for "hospital VBAC" you'll find many. Also check the birth stories forum. Best of luck.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the links and the advice.

I have decided to not go with a midwife but an obgyn (still looking for a perinatologist) and will be admant about at least a trial of
labor in a hospital setting.

After much thinking and debating, the risks do outweigh the benefits, and I'd like both me and my new babe to be safe. Even if it means having another c-section....

I'm very sad, and I know that it's normal to feel that way, but I'm not going to give up yet! I will look at the I-Can site to see what I can find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.