Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My now 13 yo son was vaccinated on schedule, but my 2 yo has not been vaccinated, nor will he be vaccinated. I didn't think I would have to worry about exemptions until my 2 yo went into school, but I just received a letter from my 13 yo son's school stating that he is required to receive the Tdap (booster) and next year the meningococcal vax will be mandatory as well.<br><br>
The letter states, of course, that he will not be allowed to attend without documentation that he received the vaccines and school officials will be required to exclude children who do not have the required immunizations.<br><br>
No surprise, the letter does not mention any exemption options.<br><br>
Is there a standard exemtion form I can use, or do I need to contact the school to get one. Also, do I need to write a statement explaining my religious beliefs?<br><br>
I live in Arizona. If anyone knows the laws pertaining to this state or has a link I would greatly appreciate it.<br><br>
TIA, Leigh

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
you have to call your health department and get a refligous exemption form.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Renaming this thread- Long Island- Where Are You?<br><br>
I just printed off the states religious exemption form- do I need to attach a written statement as well?

·
Registered
429 Posts
What state are you in?<br><br>
What you need depends on your state's laws. In Kentucky, I needed a sworn statement to submit along side my religious exemtion (no big deal, typed it up, had it notarized) and took it all to the health dept. to have them sign/stamp off on it. That part was aggravating, but they did it. After we lost my mom, my brother (age 14 now, and has Asperger's) was having enough problems that his dad didn't think getting him boosters for school would be practical, so he got an exemption too. To the best of my knoweledge, he had no problems submitting the exemption. I only add that part, because it's a similiar situation to yours.<br><br>
What you need to do is do a search of this forum for your state, maybe LI has already listed your state's requirements. Or you could check the archives, or google the law, or maybe the statute is given on the page you printed the exemption form from? Then print out the statute also, so you'll have it on hand should anyone give you grief, you can just whip it out and say, "look, this is the law."

·
Registered
199 Posts
I live in Arizona and had no problem getting a waiver.<br>
Go to the nurse's office and ask for one. I ask for personal beliefs.<br>
They will try to tell you that there is no exemption.I always respond "I know the law and so does my attorney" It is amazing how fast the form is handed to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts