Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are the first two years of college pretty much an exact repeat of what you just learned in highschool?<br><br>
Look at the required classes:<br>
hisory<br>
english<br>
algebra<br>
all your "basics" that are the same basics you just did in highschool. No wonder so many colleges have dual credit programs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Supposedly college is more in depth in that one year of hs spanish is one semester of college.It is possible to use the college level texts for hs hs and just clep out on the credits so you can take more interesting stuff when you get to college.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I actually kind of believe that a lot of the more generic prereq classes in college are for the benefit of those who did not get as adequate of a HS education as they should have. My HS was suppoed to be this wonderful college prep HS, but most of my HS classmates (including myself) struggled a LOT, esp through the first yr of college. Those that went to more prestigious universities usually ended up flunking out their first yr, that's how poorly we were prepared for college.<br><br>
Plus, I remember that I had some friends in college who took classes like Math 050. What was Math 050? It was BASIC math! Like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division! We're not even talking algebra or geometry, and sadly the ppl I knew who had to take this class, actually STRUGGLED through it! I'm not surprised to hear that it's not uncommon for many first yr college students to have to take, "remedial" classes in college. On the flip side, my DH went to a pretty strong all boy's catholic college prep HS. It was really strong in math and science and when he went to college, he did great. In fact, for his college physics course, it was the same exact textbook that he used in HS! He breezed through that class, since it was basically a repeat of what he did in HS (for me, I didn't even want to take college physics, since I had such a horrible expeience with HS physics).<br><br>
I think that if you have a HS aged student that is academically above avg, it would be worthwhile taking college classes at a local university/community college and having that transferred as college credit. I wish I would have done that, b/c my HS, "prep" and "AP" courses were a joke. I took my AP test and only scored a 3/5, which wasn't even good enough to for college credit anyway.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think it depends which college and what classes you take.<br><br>
I know there are community college classes that friends and family took that were less challenging than my public school honors and AP classes. Algebra in college? Well, it is probably not algebra 1, iykwim. And if it is, well, that is just sad and just goes to show what is wrong with high schools!<br><br>
My first two years of college were not at all a repeat of high school. Some of the classes might have had the same name, but they were more intense and with higher expectations.<br><br>
What is interesting to me to think about, is that the things that made college interesting and truly educational, are what I imagine homeschooling in earlier years could be: choice in what subjects to pursue, LOTS of independent reading and writing, exams more in the form of essays (even science!) than rote multiple choice, and actual "instruction" only a couple hours per week--the rest of the learning up to the student, to pursue on their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts