Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd and I are going to be going camping in a couple of days time, and I am kinda freaking out about keeping her safe sleeping in a tent. We don't have (and can't afford
) an air mattress - I had planned on putting her down to sleep on one of those really firm foam pads that we *do* have for camping, and I will just sleep on top of my sleeping bag next to her - but with the edge of the bag tucked under her mat, so that it can not flop around and poss. get on top of her. Does this sound like an okay plan? Any suggestions for how I can improve on it? btw, dd is a year old....

I know it sounds so silly, but I am really worried about this....
: heeeeeellllllllllllp

·
Registered
799 Posts
We are going camping this weekend wtih our 1yo and 4yo and dog. All in a small tent! FUN! Anyways...it sounds like a fine plan to me. Its still pretty cold out here at night, so I am figuring out how to keep her warm. We aren't using an air mattress either. I don't like them--the kids always seem to roll over on their bellies face down in the cracks! So we have a bunch of camping pads. I am going to put the baby's and mine next to each other with an unzipped sleeping bag over the top of both of them, and give us each our own wool blanket for the top. And the kids will be in the middle--at home they sleep on the outsides of the bed. Honestly she will probaby end up in my arms, even thought its not our favorite way to sleep.

Don't worry it'll be fine!
Have fun!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Going camping with our 14 mo old this weekend too.

At this age, I think they're old enough to deal reasonably well with blankets and covers. Even people who use cribs sometimes start using covers at 1 year, and I've seen for myself that she's perfectly capable of moving them on or off as she likes during the night.

We have two light sleeping bags that zip together to make one big one, and we're planning to just use that as our family bed. If it's too warm or too crowded, we'll use the sleeping bags as a ground layer and use a sheet on top of us all. I'll just make sure the tent is babyproofed (we have one tent for sleeping and one for all the stuff) and she'll sleep between us.

:familybed

Hope we all have a great time on the babies first camping trips!

·
Registered
255 Posts
We just camped with our dd a couple of weekends ago. We just zipped the 2 adult sleeping bags together with no problems. We did use our air mattress which fits the tent exactly. Next time we'll just do thermarests since it wont be car-camping. She'll move covers as needed. I do wish I had brought our monitor though. I had to go to bed early with her and miss out on some of the fun that my friends were having.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts