Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to mothering.com. I'm the proud mommy to a wonderful, spirited daughter who weighs 16.5 pounds at 10 weeks!
I have a maya style sling that I have been using the last few days because my back was bothering me when I would hold her for hours at a time. I have a few questions though...
I'm having some pain in the shoulder that I wear the sling on. Is there a way to avoid this or will my body get used to her weight?
I'm also having trouble with the sleeping/cradle hold because she slips under my breast if I move too much or she rolls to face me and her face is pressed against me.
The last question I have is.... Charlotte will sleep wonderfully in the vertical carry for about an hour then wakes screaming. She doesn't calm until I take her out of the sling. Does it take their legs a while to get used to the froggy position?

I'd appreciate any tips. I'm so excited to find a place to talk about AP'ing because I don't know anyone who has the same parenting style that I do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome!

I have a maya wrap so hopefully what has worked for me may help you too. I've used my sling since my son was hus ta few days old, and have found that my back has become stronger as he has grown so long as I consistently wear him in the sling. If I take a break for too long I can feel the weight more.

One thing that is important is to make sure that the fabric that is on your back is stretched as wide as possible so that the weight is distributed. With a maya wrap it also helps to keep the shoulder cap (the part at the top of the sling that folds out) down. Part of dealing with the shoulder pain is just to hang in there for awhile- your body will adjust to the weight.

For the cradle hold, make sure that the sling is quite tight. This way your daughter will be more secure. mayawrap.com has their video available online which has helpful tips as well.

- Laura

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
My son is 23 lbs at 5 months. I'm committed to wearing him for as long as possible. I could never really get the hang of a sling and he outgrew his Baby Bjorn at 3 months. I found the ergo carrier and it's been a godsend. It's ergonomically correct for me to carry my son and for him to sit in it as well. I'm unable to breast feed and I don't think you could breast feed in it so that could be a problem compared to a sling. The other nice thing is it's also a soft back carrier. His legs aren't long enough to put him on my back yet but the carrier is safe to 60 lbs and it has accessories that allow you to attatch an extra carry-all to the carrier when you go out so you're relatively hands free. It's not cheap but it is worth it. I hope that helps giving you an option. Vic:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.