Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a babe with hip dysplasia?
I'm starting to get a little nervous that hers hasn't resolved yet (she's 6 weeks old)

· Registered
520 Posts
My sister's first baby was born with H.D., but why should it be resolved at 6 weeks? Was it so minor, that it was barely noticable?

It takes approximately between 4-6 months if you're using the harness. She was wearing it for 23 hours, then after 3 months the timing is less.

She's 7 months now, and totally fine. She hasn't figured out yet that her feet have strength, but that takes time with kids who wear the brace.

I hope you have a good doctor, and that it will heal quick.
Good Luck!

· Registered
904 Posts
My babe had hip dysplasia. She had to wear a Pavlik harness for a month (from when she was four weeks old until she was eight weeks old). It was a relatively minor case and resolved quickly, once she started wearing the harness. Is your DD's dysplasia being treated, or are they waiting to see whether it resolves itself?

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's not in a harness. The doc we saw gave us the basic "wear 2 disposable diapers" and come back in four weeks. But nothing has changed and I'm always putting her in Pavlic harness style positions (like in her wrap) and frankly she's been wearing cloth diapers since birth which spread the hips much better than two disposables... Of course, I read somewhere that most HD resolves by week three.

Hers was so minor at birth that the (UAV deleted) Pede missed it. It's only because I'm familiar with hip dysplasia that it was caught at all. which makes me more nervous that it hasn't resolved yet.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
Has she been seen by an orthopedic doctor? They will assess the severity of her hip dysplasia and whether or not she needs the harness. My daughter wore the harness from birth to 8 weeks, and still gets exams every 2 months. It's much better, but our doc said until the hip socket is completely formed it has to be monitored for dysplasia. If she's not being seen by an ortho and you're still worried about it, get a referral.
Good luck!

· Registered
471 Posts
i agree with the pp. My dd just got her pavlik harness taken off yesterday YAH!! You must see an ortho dr. to find out the severity of the h/d through ultrasound. Only an ultrasound will tell you the degrees to which the socket is out. Even if they are minimal, my ortho dr. suggests the pavlik harness for 3 mos. Even if her 2mos ultrasound showed normal hips, he still highly recommends the harness for a full 3 mos. Only after x-rays deemed her hips normal was I given the ok to remove the harness. Double diapering is pretty old school and is definately not as effective. Good luck and I hope you get a good dr.

· Registered
904 Posts
Yes, to be honest I wouldn't want to mess around waiting for it to resolve itself. When my DD's dysplasia was discovered (via ultrasound--they wanted to check her hips carefully because she was breech and a first-born girl), we were referred to a pediatric orthopedist immediately and given the Pavlik within a week. We have to go back for follow-up x-rays as well. I would be nervous about a doc who recommends double-diapering as a treatment.

· Registered
520 Posts
Double diapering worked for many people, actually. My sister's baby was also a breech, 1st born girl! They caught on to her problem right at the birth, so she also got the harness immediately. At this point she's going for visits every 2 months to make sure everything stays well.

Getting checked by an orthopedic will let you know exactly what's doing, and hopefully - how much it has healed already.

· Registered
391 Posts
sounds like you are ahead of the game noticing early & such.
if you can get an ultrasound to see if it's severe enough to warrant a pavlik harness, the latest age for the harness to be useful is 6 mo. so you still have 4 mo.
our DD got an ultrasound late - at the end of 6 mo.
luckily she didn't have dysplasia.
double CLOTH diapering is better than disposables 'cuz it's bulkier.
i have a mild case in my rite hip - not discovered til i was 35! it hasn't been too problematic though w/yoga.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.