Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not from this board, but from HM and GM. Allison (Alli) Crews apparently committed suicide. If you knew her, her gf Julie is requesting that memories, thoughts, and photos be potsed at her liver journal (her user name was gurlmom) or on the thread under "Our friends and family" at gm.com

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
I heard about her death. I did not know her, and was not part of Hipmama, but I have friends that were and did. I am so very sorry for her partner and their sons. And sorry her life was ended too soon. I'm sending loving vibes to all the grieving mamas.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
I am so sorry.

I remember reading her piece "When I was Garbage" years ago, in Hipmama, and I read some bits and pieces by her in the years since, and some posts when I was on the old hipmama boards. She was such an extraordinary writer, she seems to feel things so deeply and have a gift for sharing those feelings with others...

Dar

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to give the wrong impression--I didn't know her either. I used to read at hipmama a lot and I love to see all the feisty girlmom posts when I feel cynical, lol. I read a few things by her over time, but I knew some ex-hipmama regulars were here in force for a while, and didn't know if they would have heard so I wanted to post it. Well, "wanted" is the wrong word. It is so tragic to see all these women who loved her and looked up to her saying "she changed my life, she showed me I could still have a life. How could this happen?"

·
Registered
6,832 Posts

"suicide happens when pain exceeds the resources for coping with pain."

that ^ is something i have had to remind myself of lots of times. i am deeply, deeply saddened that she did not have enough resources for dealing with whatever turmoil she was feeling.

when i got pregnant at 17, and i found some of the things she had written, and stories about things she had done and accomplished... she gave me so much strength, and so much inspiration.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
FWIW, it's pretty clear now that her death wasn't a suicide. It's not clear exactly what happened yet, but suicide doesn't fit.

Dar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts