Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I need some more ideas. I'm 41 weeks pregnant (yeah!) and um, killing time and looking for nursing shirts. I love JW, but can usually only buy it on consignment or when they're having a sale online. I refuse to wear Those Nursing Mother Shirts That Shall Remain Nameless, like I did with my first child...and I am just not comfortable with exposing my belly and boobs to the masses via the pull-up or pull-down method of normal shirts. Although I support anyone else who does - it's just not for me. I am also on the petite side, so JW works well.

What other brands/manufacturers make clever nursing shirts that are basically cool and do not scream "HELLO I AM A NURSING MOTHER AND HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO DRESS! GLAD TO MEET YOU! DO you like my wide horizontal stripes, bizarre panels, and very short shirts that expose my belly?"

I think you know what I mean...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have seen some on line other than the company that you are mentioning but I cannot afford to spend 80- 100dollars on a shirt, as much as I would love to and don't mind it because I can justify it, my husband doesn't seem to share my point of view
I know what you are talking about , how short they are! I have a long torso and my "love" pouch isn;t as quick fading as I thought! You would think they would keep that in mind. And if they put one more of those stick skinny obviously never had a baby models with those nursing bras and shirts... I look forward to seeing what kind of answers you get. Good luck, I went 41 1/2 weeks so I know how you are feeling. I just hope yours isn;t almost 10 lbs like mine!
Love them big ol babies!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Or you could try those belly hugger things. I don't really do nursing clothes either.....can you say boxy....*blarf*? The belly hugger gets a little hot but will allow you to wear anything, so I can deal with a little heat so I don't have to buy any matronly shirts.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I recommend a (tucked in or not) cami under any shirt you may wear, then you just pull the cami down and the other shirt up to nurse, resulting in minimal exposure. I was willing to pay big bucks for special nursing clothes, but the truth is, they left soooo much to be desired in the "style" category that I bought 4 silky camis at Ann Taylor and wear them under any shirt to make it a nursing top. Also, you can wear whatever bra or nursing bra you like. A glamormom tank will do the same thing, for a higher cost and with a built-in bra. I have 2 of those, too, but I prefer my "real" bras vs. their built-in.

This gets hot in the summer, but your babe will be older by then, and you can see if you still want the coverage.

That is, when I bother - my babe is big enough to cover most of my gut now

·
Registered
255 Posts
I live in Glamourmom tank tops, but I have one majamas dress that I also love: this one. I have one small complaint though, the fabric is so soft it snags a bit on velcro (diapers, diaper bag).

After wearing glamourmom tanks most of the time, I really like pulling down to nurse instead of up. It confuses dd when I wear a regular nursing bra and shirt-she keeps trying to go through the neck hole

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A huge thank you to those of you who gave some new brands to look into and the nursing cami idea (cutting it up). I'll also look into the belly hugger top. I really like the Majamas clothing, glamourmom, I hadn't seen them before. The boob ones are OK, they aren't the brand that I'm talking about.

I nursed my last one for a while, so it's sort of an investment, you know? I'll be wearing these shirts a LOT, so I'd better like them a LOT. It seems like I've been wearing my maternity shirts for the past year. Good thing I like them.

I know lots of people like to just pull up their shirts - as I said in my original post, I don't. I'm cold, and I enjoy my privacy. My baby doesn't want cold mama milk, right? Hee.

·
Registered
713 Posts
While I was pregnant, I found three Majamas tops cheap at Marshall's, so I bought them. Now, I just feel uncomforable that they expose too much breast at the top! I don't like low-cut stuff when I'm not nursing, and now that I am, I like it even less. My Glamourmom tank is too low-cut, too!

So... I bought some nice long tank tops in the underwear department at Target, put them on, drew lines over my boobs, and cut. I wear them under any shirt I like. The slits are perfectly placed for me since I drew them, and my stomach is covered when I lift my shirt. When I nurse, the top of my breast is covered by the shirt I am wearing on top. Under the tank, I wear a sleep bra with pads since I am leaking a good bit. I can easily push it aside through the slit in the tank top. For me, this is easier than the plastic fasteners on nursing tanks, and the sleep bras are infinitely more comfortable than the compression used by the nursing tanks I've tried on. Another benefit - if you can find longish tanks to do this with, they will tuck into your low-cut jeans, so when you bend over, you aren't exposing your lower back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
LOL!!
I'm not sure who is the nursingwear mfr that shall remain nameless, but I agree, many brands leave much to be desired.
I'm also a fan of JW - I splurged on one of their crossover tops and I *love* it. I like the look of the boob tops, although have yet to plunk down the required chunk of change for one. Their panels are pretty dern obvious, but - I don't know - they seem to have a style about them that I like. I can't put my finger on it, because I don't like any of the similar paneled tops that I've seen made by other brands.
when I was pg, I bought a bella band which I'm using now to hide my tummy under regular shirts. Guess it's the same concept as a belly hugger?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.