Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am looking to hire a doula in Columbus, OH.  I didn't know if anyone had good/bad experiences w/ CHOICE doulas?  And if you used someone else, how did you find them? How many births should teh doula have attended?</p>

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
<p>I'm interested in this, too! I'm going to CHOICE this week for my free introductory meeting--when I called to make the appointment they asked if I was interested in doula services, midwife, or both. I said both, though I'm pretty sure I'll be having a hospital birth. If I remember, I will come back here to share my impression. I think meeting them face-to-face will quickly give a good sense of whether we click or not.</p>

·
Registered
545 Posts
<p>CHOICE is supposed to be really good, although they are mostly homebirth-focused doulas. I used an independent doula, Leona Rechsteiner, who was fairly new (2-ish years) and had all hospital experience. She was a little shy, and I would have liked her to be a little more "in my face" when I started talking about epidurals (which I ended up not getting), but I like her. I met Kristen Oganowski (of the Birthing Beautiful Ideas blog) after the fact, but she would have been great as a VBAC doula, since she is a VBAC mom. Jenn Elfner was the doula for my friend's hospital NCB this year.</p>

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
<p>I've heard great things about Jenn Elfner on another board, and am thinking of hiring her if I don't go with someone from CHOICE.</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>I used Susan Busch...she was AMAZING!!!!  She has done many, many births - in home and in hospital.  We will definitely use her again. I know she's well respected in the doula community and to top it off she used to be a neo-natal nurse.  Her email address is: [email protected]  Good luck - I know this is a big decision :)</p>

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
<p>I had a Choice doula (although I don't think she works at Choice anymore)--her name was Rasa and she was awesome.  She was my doula for a hospital birth 5 years ago, and I still keep in touch with her.  With my 22 month old, even though she was a c-section, I had a doula...she wasn't through Choice.  Her name was Allison (<a href="http://doulanetwork.com/directory/doulas/2177.htm" target="_blank">http://doulanetwork.com/directory/doulas/2177.htm</a>), and she was incredible!  She worked with me on overcoming birth trauma and PTSD from a previous birth, and she stayed with me through my recovery in the postpartum room following my c-section (and helped me with breastfeeding a preterm baby)...she was with me for most of the day, even though it was her own son's birthday. </p>

Reactions: triciaohiomidwife

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
<p>Just wanted to jump in and say I've interviewed both Jenn Elfner and Kristen Oganowski, and they were both amazing--it's going to be really hard to decide who to go with. But both struck me as very reassuring, knowledgeable, open minded, and competent.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts