Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began homeschooling my 4.5yo in January and this September I will begin homeschooling my 8yo. At this point i'm trying to think about what our approach will be, what curriculum we might use, if any, and all of the logistics involved in homeschooling two children.
One of my ideas is to hire someone who would come to my home for a few hours once a week and do science projects or some other fun and educational things with my children. This would free me up to do errands, etc. and potentially have a small break for myself.
Has anyone done this or found other ways to carve out a little bit of time for themselves or to get things done without kids in tow?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea, thanks. We have many universities around here.
My children have never been left with a babysitter. I don't think I am looking for a babysitter - I think what I would like to do is hire someone who has a specific area of expertise that would appeal to my kids. I suppose a good babysitter could be fun too. I think having someone to supplement the homelearning we will be doing could be very nice.
Then again, I have no idea what it will be like to homeschool both of my kids, one being a previously schooled child. I'm just trying to sort it all out and envision what it will be like. I think having a few hours per week without the kids would be important for me as I haven't really had that since my first was born 8yrs ago. We had not planned on homeschooling until recently.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
It sounds like you want a babysitter, not a tutor. A tutor, in my mind, works intensly with a child on a choosen subject. My homeschooled DD has a tutor for math, and sees him twice a week for an hour. That isn't enough time to do much as all. If this were a break for ME, I would need it to be at least 2-3 hours to do me any good at all. With an hour, I can drive to the mall, which takes 15 mins, try on clothes for 30 mins, and drive back in 15 mins to pick her up. Or I can drive to the gym, which is only 10 min each way, and have 40 mins to work out. This is NOT how I would plan it if it were about me.

Another option is switching kids one afternoon a week with another homeschooling mom.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I used to work as a tutor, and I sort of fell into a niche of specializing in homeschooled kids. It was a lot of fun, and it did give the parents a break: either to work with another child, or just to sit back and relax. I don't think it was really a great babysitting option, though: I charged A LOT (by far the most I've ever made, though obviously I wasn't working 40 hour weeks), so it was usually only for an hour or an hour and a half a week, and there's really not many errands you can get done during an hour!

I do think it was good for the kids I taught to work with someone else. I hear a lot about "oh, HS kids won't know how to work with someone else's teaching style!" but I think that's BS. I just think that as a paid employee I brought a certain enthusiasm, and a certain level of "okay, time to get serious" that it can be hard for a parent to muster. And no matter how smart you are, another person will always know something or be able to contribute something new.

I taught research and writing, and all of my kids were in middle or high school. That the kids I worked with were older, it definitely makes it different than a younger kid. And since it was so level-specific, I could really only work with one kid at a time: but something like a science experiment would be fun to do with more than one kid.

The tutors that I've met who specialize in homeschooled students tend to take things pretty seriously, and charge a pretty penny. I think because they CAN charge so much, they feel it should be an intensive experience.

In your situation, I'd probably find an enthusiastic college student (any teaching programs around you?) and pay a little above the normal going babysitting rate with the understanding that you'd really like them to do a "project" every time she comes over. In my area, I'd say that would cost you about $20 an hour, instead of the $50+ an hour a real tutor would cost (and I charged 3x that, FWIW... but an elementary school tutor would be much less). Pay would be HIGHLY area dependent, obviously.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
We can't afford to have a one on one tutor come to work with ds1, and I don't think he would really enjoy that. But, I am in the process of interviewing an ex-teacher to put together an academic playgroup, if you will, starting in the fall. My goal is to have 4-6 kids total, and they would meet twice a week for 1.5-2hrs do to fun science projects, math games, writing, etc.

I have a younger son, so for me this is less about having a break and more about giving my older son a consistent group of kids to get together with and at the same time relieve some of my anxiety about him keeping up in certain subjects.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I miss our tutor! We lived abroad not long ago and had a tutor who worked with my older boys 2 hours a day. He taught them math and Russian. He was such a great guy--young, funny, smart--and my kids loved him. But now we are back to the land of the $40 hour and tutors are no longer in our budget.

Sometimes he worked with them together and I could get things done around the house. But honestly I would never leave my kids with him--he was a teacher and not a babysitter and I wouldn't expect him to do things like feed them snacks or deal with their hi-jinks.

More often he'd work with them one at a time but that gave me a chance to work with the other guy, which was always good.

We had a painter come twice a week and chess and piano teachers. So great. This is probably no help but your post caught my eye because I so wish we could have a similar set up here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.