Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T will be 2 next week and I don't know what's going on with his latch. I can't stand to nurse for more than a few seconds. I endure it to get him to sleep, though. Yuck!

From what I can tell, we don't have thrush, he's not teething, not really nursing more or less...nothing has changed but his latch.

I'm stumped. My other 3 all were weaned by this time (but Toby is so obviously nowhere near weaning
) is there something that typically happens around the 2nd birthday that causes this? Will it pass?

edited to add: once he settles down and is nursing in his sleep, it is bearable again.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Are you pregnant???

I always have had to ask my little ones to do "big mouth." They tend to get more slack on positioning---and it can hurt! I recently told my ds2 it was like he was nursing through a straw. He thought that was hilarious. Me, not so much

Have you seen if you can get him to tilt his head back a little? I've had a close friend where that worked wonders for her w/her almost two yr. old. Never worked for me, but thought I'd throw that out there
It does seem to pass though

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not pregnant!

I'd never thought of asking him to do anything different. He has some delays and it just never occurred to me. That's what you do with a newborn, though, isn't it? Focus on positioning and latch?

And now he's big enough to help with that. You are exactly right, it feels like sucking on a straw. Hmm, he's been drinking out of a straw most of the time since I got rid of the sippie cups.

"big mouth", tilting his head different, maybe drinking from a regular cup more often instead of a straw (new skill of his)...at least I can try! Maybe something will work!

I'm afraid he'll end up weaned if we keep having these abbreviated nursing sessions. Honestly I wouldn't mind, but he's not ready. I think weaning would cause more problems than it would solve.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I would consider removing the straw for a while and see if that fixes anything.

I have noticed my kids suckling patterns change after intro of sippy cups and straws, but we could reintroduce them later w/out issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I tried the 'big mouth' thing. It worked!!! Hooray!!! He thought it was very funny, and is starting to even remember on his own....goes to nurse and then stops himself and opens wide

Also we had a 'first' last night. After 2 years of being nursed to sleep in a rocking chair, he went to bed with Daddy and went to sleep

1 - 6 of 6 Posts