Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest son A., is a sweet and wonderful boy. He has always been loving to his baby brother H., although sometimes his affection can get a bit enthusiastic. But I was totally shocked yesterday when A. smacked H. on the head while I was holding him. Now let me just qualify this by saying that I don't think that the hit was meant to be hurtful, I think that A. was just excited and was trying to play. But he hit his brother, hard, and of course H. started crying. I was totally at a loss for words. I couldn't believe that my baby was hurt and it was my other baby who had done it! We have told A. time and time again that H. is smaller and A. needs to be soft and gentle when he plays with his brother. And I know A.'s 2 and it's really tough for him to control himself but hitting is not acceptable.<br><br>
I tried so hard yesterday to explain it to A. but it was so difficult to get him to settle down to listen to me. I told him over and over that people aren't for hitting and that hitting made H. sad. I told A. that I wanted him to be soft and gentle with his brother. I explained that when either of my boys cry it makes me feel sad to. I wanted A. to see the consequences of hitting. But I really didn't feel like I got through. I kept thinking that I should send him to the bedroom, but it seemed like that solution would only make me feel better, you know like I was doing something, rather than help A. understand that it wrong to hit his baby brother.<br><br>
What can I do to help A. understand the seriousness of his hitting his brother? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
722 Posts
This only happened a few times for us. First I tended to my younger DD and got her calmed down. Then I got in my older DDs face and very sternly told her that baby sister had feeling just like she has feelings. How would she feel is someone bigger than her smacked her on the head? That is how baby sister feels. I told her that sister was my baby, just like she was my baby, and NO BODY could hit either one of them. I was VERY stern.<br><br>
My kids get along great and we've had far fewer sibling problems than most families.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
A 2 year old is just too young to understand. The best you can do is keep the baby from being hit and encouraging your older child to be gentle. Until you can be sure your older child will not hit the baby you need to be careful to keep the baby safe.<br><br>
Sometimes moms get so busy and are on the go so much with their young children that the children are stressed and misbehave. Examining your life-style to minimize stress on the children and maximizing attention from you may be helpful. Look to yourself and what you can change rather than trying to lecture your 2 year old.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh, this is a tough one! I think what I would do is just watch 2yo like a hawk! I'd also really positively reinforce gentleness- the whole catch them doing something right thing! I wouldn't mention the hitting again- I'd just always e there to make sure it didn't happen again-I've found that with my kids things can e reinforced negatively and then become a big issue where there wouldn't e one. All the best to you,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts