Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nora is 19 months, and for a few weeks (maybe a month) when she gets really mad about something, she takes both hands and smacks herself in the head. I've been trying gentle ways to encourage her not to do this, to use her words, or just telling her that when we're mad it's not ok to hit. It's not working. Is this in the realm of normal? She never hits anyone else, or the cats, or anything -- only herself and only with both hands on the head. So strange!<br><br>
Then today, she got mad at me in the car and did it again, only this time, she got *really* mad and actually grabbed her hair and pulled out a small chunk! I was flabbergasted! Where is she getting this from?<br><br>
I feel so bad for her. It's got to be so frustrating to be 1 1/2 and not know what to do w/your anger.<br><br>
Anyone?

·
Registered
466 Posts
My 15 month DS doesn't hit himself, but he does get down on his hands and knees and bang his head on the floor when he's angry. I'm not really sure what's the best way to handle it. I try not to make a big deal out of it, usually just pick him up and distract him. But as he gets older, he's not so easily distractable, so....<br><br>
I'm open to suggestions/advice anyone has as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts