Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with hives? I seem to have a pretty bad case right now. I've had it before, but usually it's the kind of deal where I wake up in the morning with my hands itchy and a little swollen, and it goes away by noon. This time it's all over my body and boy is it ugly. It's been developing over the past couple days. I'm wondering how long it will take to resolve, and if anyone knows of any home remedies that can speed up the healing. I've been soaking in the tub with baking soda/corn starch, but that's all I really know to do. I tried taking benedryl, but it isn't really working - the topical benedryl seems to stop a particular patch from developing but it's not really doing much for my overall condition, and there's only so much of that you can do.

Thanks for any advice. Not sure what caused this. I don't typically have allergic reactions to stuff, but there's been a ton of acute stress in my life over the past couple weeks and I'm wondering if that's the underlying cause.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! My neighbor just told me to take large amounts of C, like you guys are saying (he's an ER nurse). Epsom salts....I will try that. I thought I was getting better earlier today but no dice. I read this could last up to a couple of weeks. Yeesh. Thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I don't know if you are still having this problem, as the post was from 2 months ago. I get hives every time I catch a cold. They appear 4-6 days after the onset of cold symptoms and then hang on for a week or more.
I get them all over: legs, hips, buttocks, torso, arms, hands... not fun!

Benedryl doesn't work well, Claritan Hives is totally ineffective. I got a prescription antihistamine last year that let me so lethargic that I could barely function, so that was out.

I've found that warm to hot baths really help me for some reason. This goes against conventional hive wisdom which says that heat makes them worse! But for me a hot bath shrinks them down, stops the itching, and keeps them away for several hours. Oatmeal in the bath is very soothing: I blend up oats in my blender and fill a muslin bag with several cups. The I put it in the bath, squeeze it out, and let it steep while I soak.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
I've found that warm to hot baths really help me for some reason. This goes against conventional hive wisdom which says that heat makes them worse!
this is homeopathic thinking, however and makes total sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.