Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Two weeks ago my 9 year old broke out in a raging case of hives after eating some pineapple which she's eaten her whole life. I watched her all night to make sure she didn't have any wheezing or throat swelling.  She groaned and was miserable the entire time.  Benedryl barely took the edge off. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The back story is that she'd been sick a couple of months with sinusitis.  At one point I caved and did a round of abx thinking we could just clear this up and move on but she just went right back to being sick after the fact.  The abx were over at least 2 weeks before the hives outbreak. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We went to urgent care the Sat am after the outbreak.  Dr. suspected it was the pineapple and prescribed steroids.  First thing Monday we saw our naturopath and got her on a regiment of herbs, probiotics, fish oil, and homeopathy and stopped the steroids.  The hives started to calm down.  Only showing up after a warm bath or at night time and first thing in the morning but mostly staying gone during the day and they became a lot more manageable pain wise. I share custody with their dad and the hives seemed to make more of an appearance when she visited his house over the next weekend.  A little over a week into this, the naturopath switched the homeopathic remedy she was taking.  Her sinus infection seems almost completely cleared up. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Three days ago her little sister broke out with hives.  Not bad at all, nothing compared to the older sister, but definitely hives.  This leads me to believe that we're dealing with a virus since the little sister hasn't been exposed to anything new.  I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this and how long the hives went on.  I'm not concerned at all but my ex-husband has a very difficult time looking at this holistically and keeps pushing me to take them to our ped even though he knows he'll just prescribe steroids.  My oldest had pretty intense side effects from the two days she was on them and I would really like to stay on the natural path and let their bodies heal themselves.  Thanks for any input.</p>

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
<p>The steroids and antihistamines didn't help the hives?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd be thinking viral hives too. That is the most common cause of hives and really fits it happening both kids (and following/corresponding to illness otherwise it sounds like?)  I don't know on duration for viral as all of my family hive experience have been allergy related and those can hang on and on. I would have expected viral hives to last no longer than a couple of weeks generally but that's purely a guess. At a certain point the hives are chronic but I know that point is after two weeks. I know I'm no help but I do know they are miserable, I do agree it sounds viral, and I hope they are gone soon.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<p>I would start with essential oils.  Using certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils is important-don't want to put anything on your little ones that could hurt them! doterra is a really great company, they test each batch or oils with 2 independent test centers before they sell them. We use their essential oil in our family.<br><br>
When a friend of mine had chicken pox (in her 30's) we didn't want to touch them and irritate them more, so we got a spray bottle and put a carrier and added oils.  For the hives I would add lavender, roman chamomile and melaleuca.  These oils are going to be great for anything that is viral, bacterial or fungal.  Lavender if you think it might be an allergy is an anti histamine and is very soothing and will help with any itching.  Chamomile is also really soothing for the skin. You could also put melaleuca on the bottom of their feet, a drop on each foot, and this will help her body fight anything that might be viral, bacterial or fungal.</p>
<p>Lavender will also help your children sleep. <br><br>
If you just wanted to start with 1 or 2 oils I would go with lavender and melaleuca.  <br><br>
Also just a thought could it be bed bugs?<br>
I hope this helps and if you have any question please feel free.<br>
Kelly</p>
<p> </p>
<p> <br>
<a href="http://www.mydoterra.com/naturallyhealthyfamilies/" target="_blank">www.mydoterra.com/naturallyhealthyfamilies/</a></p>

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>No one has had any bites.  I've been insane about checking everyone over after we spent a weekend in NY in early September.  I check my house and the beds constantly so I know bed bugs aren't an issue.  All four of my girls had a virus go through them just before she broke out in hives so I feel like that is the culprit, but I'm curious how long viral hives tend to last.  We're at day 14 now.  The benedryl does help now, but it didn't during the initial outbreak. I only give it to her if she has really large, uncomfortable patches. </p>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<p>I looked briefly on the web and saw that acute hives can last up to 6 weeks-after 6 weeks they are chronic hive.  I hope things are looking better for you and your kidos are feeling better. </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts