Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We've been happily cloth diapering for 5.5 mos now and come Christmas we are starting baby on solids!  She will be 6 months exactly and Santa is bringing a diaper sprayer...it seems to make sense on a lot of levels to take the plunge after the holidays.  She is so so ready for solid food (EBF now) she stares at us when we eat, etc.  Anyhow - that's not what this post is about.  I am chicken to start on the solids with cloth diapers.  We used disposables for the others so we've never dealt with this issue.  I know we can handle it.  But any advice?  I can't help but feel that the party is about to end (as it begins for her!!!).  As it is nothing gets that smelly, (we use BG 3.0 and wash every other night).  I plan to spray the diapers (obviously from above) but are things still going to smell?  Stain?</p>

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It'll stink but at least with Jude, the poop is solid too so it just falls off into the toilet so I don;t have to spray the heck out of the diaper.

·
Registered
399 Posts
<p>It really isn't as bad as you may think it's going to be. Will it stink? Yes it will. It will smell like regular adult poop... sometimes a little worse... sometimes a lot less! The benefit of solid poop is that, as PP said, you can start plopping a lot of it right into the toilet, then just rinse the remnants off. Honestly, I never used a diaper sprayer in my life. I always just threw the EBF diapers right into the wash (because I was washing every day), and once her poo got more solid, I'd dump what I could into the toilet and throw the rest into the washing machine. I still do that, and DD is 13 months old. We (or should I say <em>I</em> ) wash every other day, and we don't have any staining issues. Once you get over the initial "Ewwww, gross!!" stage, it's a breeze, no big deal! :)</p>

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
<p>And let's not forget about liners, I haven't started CDing yet, but for sure one of the first deals I made with DH about embracing CDing was that we'd use liners once the solids started and apparently the liners make all the difference because you can just fold em up with the poop in and either dump it in the toilet (if reusable liners) or flush for disposable. I think that will be a lifesaver for us and it went a long way to getting DH on board with sticking with it beyond the solid poop.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts