Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds has 2 teachers this year he adores. How much do you typically spend on holiday gifts for teachers and what do you typically get them? I was thinking a gift certificate might be good. It's a private preschool with a teacher and a director who acts as a second teacher.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Between my 3 girls there are 11 teachers.

I make a biscuit mix that they can use to make biscuits, muffins or pancakes(I send the recipies for them). They get 1-2 jars of jam. I'm also making beef jerky for the male teacher this year too.

Some teachers teach more than 1 of my kids so they get a little more. I get their main teachers something more, which is why I'm sending beef jerky for the male teacher. The other 2 main teachers are both vegetarian.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
As a teacher I loved everything and though ornaments can add up year after year, those were my faves cause I get to look at them and think of the kids even years after they have moved on.

Homemade gifts- jar mixes, food, scarfs etc are always great

Gift cards for local places are nice as well.

Really, I loved anything. One year the family made bread that was their family recipe and I ate it all in one sitting.
:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I have to differ with pp - I was a high school teacher for many years (100+ students/year) and am now a school librarian in a school with 400+ students. I don't really like collectibles or knickknacks & these plus the ornaments get to be too much, I've received tons of costume jewelry which I can't wear, so I get overwhelmed with things.

I loved homemade goodies and heartfelt notes. I love gift cards, especially to a local bookstore (hey I'm a librarian, what can I say) or for Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts. I also hate being wasteful, so even if the gift card isn't to a place I may use, I can pass it on to someone who will use it (not regift). Last year we got $10 gift cards for the bookstore for her teachers & $10 Dunkin Donuts for her before school care teachers.

I've also knit gifts for some of dd's teachers. In her preK, we had a tough year & I knew them all pretty well so they all got year end handknitted gifts and a hat for dd's teacher's new baby last year, but I tend not to knit things for people unless I know they'll like & appreciate them.

·
Banned
1,860 Posts
I like a lovely note about my work, cc'd to my principal. It should say something specific about what a student or parent appreciates about my work. It doesn't have to be long.

ETA: at this time of year, my classroom is also typically running out of pencils, notebook paper, kleenex, and a few other supplies. I always appreciate those as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stik View Post
I like a lovely note about my work, cc'd to my principal. It should say something specific about what a student or parent appreciates about my work. It doesn't have to be long.

ETA: at this time of year, my classroom is also typically running out of pencils, notebook paper, kleenex, and a few other supplies. I always appreciate those as well.
Stik,

I have done this at the end of the year, so as not to appear to be "sucking up" (for lack of a better expression).

Is that ridiculous?

·
Banned
1,860 Posts
It's not ridiculous at all. I don't feel like letters I get in the middle of the year are "sucking up," but once a family gave me a frankly humongous gift card, and I was worried that they might expect it to influence my actions, so other teachers might prefer that you write at the end of the year, and that timing wouldn't offend me.

I can ALWAYS use pens and pencils for students, 3x5 notecards, notebook paper, construction paper, kleenex, dry erase markers, and a host of other things. I grade using pentel G2 gel pens in various colors. A little care package with a few of those things in it would be very welcome in my classroom at Christmas. Slap a nice bow on it if you want to be fancy.

I have no use for a lot of the stuff I get - which is mostly scented candles, coffee mugs, highly allergenic hand lotion, and religious paraphernalia. I appreciate the spirit in which it is offered, thank the student for their thoughtfulness, and then dispose of it quietly after students leave on the last day of the semester.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am having each kid give a book (or some other instructional related material. My DS1 gave his preschool a couple puzzles at the end of the year last year because his was puzzle king in the room!) for the classroom/school library and have them sign/personalize it in the front. I also have them put together a homemade card for each of their teachers.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I usually spend about $5 per teacher. I like to give stationery (a pretty journal, pretty notepads, sticky notes etc).

One of my daughter's teacher asked for a gift certificate to the local craft stores so that she can buy supplies for the classroom. So much of their budget is limited, so that they need to dip into their own pockets to buy the consumables like art supplies and such.

Another teacher asked for books or games for the classroom.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found some nice personalized note cards on etsy and I'm doing those for my DD's 1st grade teacher, Music Teacher, PE Teacher, Art Teacher and Piano Teacher. I'm also doing one set for my DS's preschool teacher. I think I ended up spending about $65 total on the 6 sets.

In the past, I've done movie gift boxes -- a popcorn box (from michaels or the $1 bins at target) with microwave popcorn, candy, and blockbuster cards or movie tix -- I spent somewhere b/t $15-35 on those, but needed to be more frugal this year.

Last year I also wrote a long heartfelt letter to the principal about how much we loved and appreciated my DD's K teacher and we gave a copy to the teacher. We found out later that the letter was read aloud at a staff meeting

·
Registered
454 Posts
Several years ago, when dd was in second grade, I decided that I didn't want to give gifts to teachers and would make donations instead. I donated to an organization called SEVA that amongst other things, does operations to restore people's sight around the world. I had email cards sent to all of the teachers notifying them of the donations. I couldn't imagine what was wrong when dd's main classrrom teacher called me crying in the middle of the day. I was initially scared that something had happened to dd, when she asked me, "How did you know that my mother is blind?" I obviously had not known, but her call was the best holiday gift I could have gotten. It was a beautiful moment. www.seva.org

·
Registered
593 Posts
I give chocolate. Being on the receiving end of chocolate, it still tastes pretty good after my new year's resolution has worn off

This year it just so happened that there was an organic chocolate fundraiser going on at one of my kids schools, so I supported that by buying all my chocolate for the holiday gifts for the teachers at the other school.

Now, what to do about the teacher at the school who held the fundraiser? hmmmmm.......

I think small gifts of appreciation are nice. I can see how giving a teacher a large gift in the middle of the year might make them uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have given home-made goodies. THis year we are making home-made marshmallows - yum! Often it's cookies. I sometimes wonder if this is all a good idea since maybe the teachers are watching their weight? But responses on here are all positive. One year we gave bottles of wine.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Homemade goodies are discouraged in our area. What I usually do is a gift cert to a pizza place. I figure there's nothing better than knowing you don't have to deal with fixing dinner one night during the busy holiday season!

K.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I already donated to my DS's primary Kindergarten teacher's gift fund, so she'll be getting some money in gift cards through that, as well as a homemade coffee cake. I didn't want to spend too much on individual presents this year, so I'm giving homemade coffee cakes to pretty much everyone - DS's teacher, all his specials teachers (4 total), the office staff at his school, etc.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What I always found to be a problem is that - no matter what *I* felt the teacher would like - my kids wanted to give them something special all on their own, whether homemade or store bought. A gift card or something Mommy helped with didn't cut it. So I let them go with what they felt appropriate - if the teacher felt moved to chuck it? So be it.

This is actually my first year NOT giving teacher gifts - my youngest is a freshman in HS and has decided that it's time to let it go. But as the years have gone on, she's taken the time to find out what the teacher's interests are and gotten something fitting. Last year, one of her teachers' wives had a baby, so as an end of year gift - knowing that they spend most of their time at home - she put together a popcorn gift basket, complete with a hot air popper that she found on sale. Another teacher loves ice cream, so she put together another basket with some special ice cream bowls, new scoop, toppings, etc.

I still write end of year/semester (they're on block schedules) to the teachers I feel inspired and challenged them. A lot of HS teachers don't get that feedback.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We just got a note from our preschool's teachers with ideas - they said as a lot of people were asking. I found this really helpful:
Always need things for the classroom such as:
Batteries
Stickers
Stamps and ink pads
Fabric markers
Hot glue sticks
Baggies
Band-aids
Gift cards to stores for project supplies, treats.

They also listed a "play doctor kit" which I thought was funny. So maybe some toys and such that you know they don't have or have enough of? I'm thinking of getting them one of the Jim Gill CD's that preschoolers love and I know they don't have any at her preschool.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Dh is a teacher. While he appreciates the thought behind any gift, the things he really treasures are heartfelt notes or cards.

On the practical side, if you want to give gifts, teachers are often overloaded with ornaments, mugs, candles, knicknacks, etc. Many don't eat homemade food and the stuff ends up getting tossed. The responses generally are going to seem positive whether or not the item is one the teacher ends up using or eating, because they do appreciate that you are thinking of them.

Gift cards to places like Target or office supply stores are the things dh appreciates the most. He spends a ton of our money on supplies, and it's such a nice treat to be able to have some of that stuff paid for other than out of his own pocket.

We usually get gift cards and write nice letters to our kids teachers if we like the teacher. We normally spend $20, but we only get them for the kids' main teacher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.