Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I know I have like 5 more months, but I'm already sewing things up for the Helper thread this year.

I have 5 pair of wool pants made of recycled sweaters so far. I have a bunch of pieces cut for fitteds and I am getting some wool wrap covers going.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2abigail
I'm new here, so whats the Helper thread?
Around the holidays we have a big organized thing where mamas who need help put in a private request, be it for money, diapers, clothes size 2T, toys, giftcards to the grocery, whatever they need, and people who have anything to give send care packages, essentially.
It's really great, because many of the helped are also helpers, in that they send their hand-me-downs to someone whose child is reaching that size.
It is a big warm fuzzy community thing. It will not get started up until early December though. It is an organizational nightmare as you can imagine.

Sewing moms can be a huge help as cloth diapers are an expensive investment to buy, but save you money once you have 'em.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
That is SO neat! I would love to help in any way that I can. I am definately a beginner when it comes to sewing, but I can make a diaper that's functional (even if the seams are not straight!) I can also crochet (again, I am a beginner at it) and would love to make some wool soakers for someone! I suppose I can just start now huh? It's give me something to look forward to! Do I need to sign up or anything? TIA

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The signing up isn't underway until December - but you can start stockpiling things in advance.
That's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow! I didn't know about this! Ooooohh!!! I'm excited, I want to sign up, too!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I am so excited I just cut out 8 dipes to sew!!! They are PooPockets though, which I guess is not really everyones favorite, but 'till I get more $ to buy a new pattern, I'm gonna make use of what I've got! I am so excited to be doing this!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
sounds fun! Just gives me an excuse to sew up more diapers.
:

·
Registered
71 Posts
this is NEAT!!! I'll have to start making maybe a diaper a month for the next few months...I'd love to be a part of this, too.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
early? i started in january

eta: can you tell im just way too excited about it? lol

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have some fabric with which I was planning on making prefolds for myself but I'm sure I can make up more to give away. Are recycled items like this wanted? I would never give anyone anything I wouldn't put on my kids.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
I have some fabric with which I was planning on making prefolds for myself but I'm sure I can make up more to give away. Are recycled items like this wanted? I would never give anyone anything I wouldn't put on my kids.
Often people are happy to accept hand-me-down clothes or diapers. It depends on the person. I am making most of my wool covers out of sweaters - so they are technically "used", but just haven't been used as diaper covers.
As a general rule, if you have it, there's probably a family out there who could use it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2abigail
I am so excited I just cut out 8 dipes to sew!!! They are PooPockets though, which I guess is not really everyones favorite, but 'till I get more $ to buy a new pattern, I'm gonna make use of what I've got! I am so excited to be doing this!

Hey a diaper is a diaper if your baby's bum needs one

I used the Poopockets pattern (my first diaper pattern purchase) and modified it to make a 'pocket, side snapping diaper' that sure did look an aweful lot like a trim cross between a 'Swaddlebees' and a 'Fuzzi Bunz' and the mom I made them for LOVED them. So you never know!

I made a few trial 'pocket' styles with the gussets and it was a PITA, so I just left off the gussets and they work fine.
(Just another idea if you have the pattern already)

I'm going to make some regular diapers (hemp/cotton jersey) with the gussets, as that would probably be easier to do. Then just make the covers from a PUL / Fleece combo using the other pattern they sell for making diaper covers.

I recently got the Cloe Toes pattern and it looks great! I would love to make extras for moms with that, as it seems popular, though the pattern is in black and white and all the sizes are stacked and it's a bit eye straining to read.

I think wipes would be a nice thing to make for moms too, as many don't have sergers/fabric and they are so nice on baby's bum!

What about diaper pail liners? I love my PUL liner. It goes in with the wash and makes it so nice to 'dump' dipers and not have to touch them again.
hehe

Mamma cloth? What else can be made in advance to help moms....

I used to crocet when I was a young girl, but have forgotten so many of the stitches, that it'd be a SLOW learning curve to try to read a pattern to make one...though I'm interested in it. I would probably have more luck doing like the other moms and making recycled 'wool sweater' covers. That looks so fun! Not tried it yet though!

Now that I think about it...is starting now soon enough
hehe

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Hmmm! Count me in. I am making diapers anyway, I may as well stash a few for somebody else who's struggling and CAN'T sew!

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I just made 2 newborn dipes, and since there isn't an actual newborn for them, I think they may just be for Holiday Helpers! I'll make some wipes too, since I have a ton of smaller pieces of fabric, and maybe see if I can piece together a wet bag from my PUL.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Results:
Covers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7837.jpg
(i didn't sew the dyed one or the crocheted one..those are outgrown ones that are getting passed down. I did sew the rest)
Closeup of the world's ugliest, but softest, italian merino cover and pants:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7726.jpg

Some of the diapers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7833.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...2/DSCF7836.jpg
(I have made 5 more since this pic and have 9 that are half-done.)

By the way, the HOliday Helper thread is UP now and you can now get involved!!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post
Why can't I get into the holiday helper thread?
try again. you usually need 51 posts to access the TAO forums. The holiday helper thread is a sticky in the Talk Amoungst OUrselves forum

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post
It's still not letting me in

I think it's because you have to be here 3 months and have 50 posts to see that forum.

http://www.spatulagirl.com/holidayhelper/
Here is a direct link to the database. Just click "go help" and you can see the families that need help this holiday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts