Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh is insisting that we drive to see the in laws this Xmas. The drive takes about 7 hours normally, but I am sure it will be longer if we need to give ds a break.
Any ideas on how to keep him occupied/calm while he is locked in his car seat?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
We have been on a few long car trips with DS - the last one at about 22 mos old. We had 2 days in a row of being trapped in the car seat and DS did amazzingly well. We just had a goody bag of fun toys and books, lots of snacks and water, and we stopped when we could to let him out to run around rest areas (except that it rained all day both day - ugh!)

Toys he especially liked included a new one I picked up at WalMart (oh, I know, evil, but he LOVED the toy) - a little Winnie the Pooh noise maker type toy that plays different sounds and songs when you press the buttons. I can't believe I got it for him, but it was about $5 and, seriously, kept him happy for about an hour at a time. Other toys included little cars, little animals, hand puppets, lots of singing, a few favorite books, and a few small puzzles that he could take apart (and then droped the pieces on the floor so I couldn't get them until we stopped again). Oh, also markers and paper, which were fun but messy.

Safe travels!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
For our holiday travels, we're checking out the new harry potter book on tape - but that's for us
. But DD does seem calmed by books on tape - the steady drone reminds her of NPR, I guess. But she likes songs too, so I'll be investing in a few kiddy song cds to sing along to.

I have borrowed toys/books form my SIL so she gets "new" things

And on our last long trip, she enjoyed her "Hug and Learn Tad" by leapfrog - it lights up and sings, so it was entertaining when it got dark in the car. I also have a little piano toy she hasn't played with yet that we'll try.

I fully plan to buy a DVD player if she ever shows interest in dvds - my neice and nephew both settle down easily in the car if they have a show to watch.

Oh, and we;ll have the dogs with us too - she'll be facinated by that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.