Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was posting this in another thread in the Pregnant forum and thought that some of you might find it really interesting as well. It's about the stages of labor and a midwife's observations of the mental, emotional, and physical changes a woman goes through as her body births her child. I found it really powerful and it also helped me to clarify exactly what I wanted to get out of my birth and what role I wanted my care provider to play.

http://houstonbirthdoula.com/blog/2010/05/the-holistic-stages-of-labor/

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
While I don't WANT a looooooooong labor, this is something I feel so disconnected from reading. I've never experienced labor as a spiritual journey or anything. My first pregnancy, labor was just something to get through, and if I was in the water I didn't even really notice labor at all. I was just taking a REALLY long bath with period cramps, lol...at least until transition.

But the other two labors I did have plans to cook during labor, have a project, etc. My second birth was a 2hr 45 minute labor. It was all back labor, and transition was 90 minutes long due to baby rotating in the pelvis. Not to mention that while we were just as I'd dreamed throughout the pregnancy, we had not intended on an unassisted birth. It added a layer of anxiousness to the energy of the area since DH wasn't prepared to assist at that capacity.

This last labor was nice. I got breaks in between contractions, I got to labor alone for a while and the midwife did make it as planned, etc. BUT, it was still only 2 hours and 10 minutes from when a contraction awoke me to when the baby was born. Nice, easy, but again just because of the speed there seemed to be a layer of panic in those around me. Would they get here on time, etc...

I almost WANT to go into labor when my mom has the big girls overnight and DH is at work and the baby is napping. Of course this is unlikely, as that's a LOT of stars aligning in just the right order. ;) But being able to be alone, relax, and just birth rather than birth AND feel like I'm handling the energy of those around me as well (I definitely have empathic qualities and take on energies of people around me...even people I know online!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.