Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas,

Anyone have luck with Aetna paying for their home birth? I see some old forums on here from 2006 but am looking for some recent info. Anything helps!

Kylie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I worked for Aetna for a while and they are the worst insurance company to deal with. I would recommend speaking with your midwife about the insurance coverage, she may have some insight. Also, they will not flag an account just because you call to ask questions. You don't have to tell them that you are doing one or the other.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi mamas,

Anyone have luck with Aetna paying for their home birth? I see some old forums on here from 2006 but am looking for some recent info. Anything helps!

Kylie
The first issue is whether home birth is legal in your jurisdiction. The second is whether your provider is legal, within that.

I had four homebirths with midwives, but none of them would have been eligible for insurance reimbursement. I had my last baby in a freestanding birth center, because the midwife operating it was a friend of mine and we wanted to do a birth together. That one was covered by insurance, but, much as I love her, if I had it to do over, I might not have done it that way, money, or no money.

So, before you start wrestling the insurance company, check whether your midwife meets the legal standards, because they won't pay out unless that is covered,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts