Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a single mom and I am wanting another little one so i doubt it will have a long time for me to find a new mate.

I know it took me like at least 3 yrs with 2 losses until I had my son so I'm thinking maybe it will take even longer since I haven't even got my ppaf and been nursing my son for 23 months and plus it's not like I am going to be able to 'dtd' like I did when I was ttc with my son's father .

If I wanted to do a Insemination how would I get sperm ? Would a doctor on hand have some sperm donor's banked if so have any of you taken a sperm sample home- how many -frozen/unfrozen ? Did they give you syringes ?

If it was for IUI would there need to be any medcines before the IUI ?

Have any of you had success with home insemination or IUI ?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi!
Well, I am in a queer relationship up in Canada, and we go to a clinic and order sperm from Xytex (the clinic does the ordering). Here, we need a referral from a doctor to go to the clinic, and our visits are subsidized by provincial medical coverage. That said, the sperm still costs 350-550$/vial (Canadian).
There are others, on the 'queer parenting' threads that have done home insems, and yes, IUI does work -- just not for us, yet! This month will be #5.
Good luck!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am doing a surrogacy where we will be doing home inseminations.

If you get sperm from a bank, it will most likely be frozen. If frozen, the clinic must unthaw, spin (if not already done) and perform an IUI. If fresh and/or just cold (the sampe has been given in the past 24 hours, so it can be chilled), you can do home inseminations with it. You can find sperm donors online, via sperm banks, etc.

If doing home inseminations, it depends on the clinic but you usually buy your own supplies. Just get a 10ml (cc) syringe. You can usually get one for free from your local pharmacy (just ask). Or order them online. I bought a ten pack on eBay (new in package, sterile, etc.) for $5. The semen will only fill 2-5ml of the syringe, but you need it long enough to deposit the sperm inside of you (approx four inches). For home insems, this is a great site: http://www.pinelandpress.com/faq/homeinsem.html

If you do IUI, you can either do unmedicated or medicated - unmedicated is just that, no drugs, just the IUI itself. You either monitor your cycles with charting/OPK's or your dr monitors with ultrasounds to see when a follie is mature enough. If doing medicated, you are usually monitored with ultrasounds to watch follie sizes but not always.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts