Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I've never used a forum before so not sure if I'm doing it right.  So here it goes.... My husband and I are going to try home insemination for the 3rd time.  I have a 13 year old prior to this marriage so I know pregnancy is possible.  Any ideas on the timing that would help?  Not sure when to do it after I get my positive opk.  I will start testing on day 8 because my cycle is 25 days.  I'm pretty sure ovulate on day 11.  We ordered 4 specimens so any ideas on timing would be great. </p>

·
Registered
303 Posts
<p>I inseminate a day or two before I ovulate (basically when i have fertile cm), and again early in the day I ovulate.  Are you wanting to use all 4 samples on one cycle, or are you saving some for another cycle? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Once you get a positive opk, it's my understanding that you'll ovulate within 12-24 hours, (assuming you catch it at the beginning), and if you wait too long after it turns positive you may miss the egg window.  I also test twice a day when it gets close, since i've had them be negative in the morning and turn positive after lunch. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My timing worked great with my DD, still trying for #2.    Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
<p>I believe many inseminate on the day of the first positive OPK. How familiar are you with your cycles? Do you know when you normally ovulate? If so, and if you are going to inseminate 4 times, I recommend inseminating 3 days before ovulation, 2 days before, 1 day before and the day of. Or, 4 days before ovulation, 3 days before, the day of a positive OPK and the day after the positive OPK.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did that make sense?</p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>My cycle is pretty consistent with 25 days and ovulation on day 11.  I tried the temp chart but I'm a nurse and my hours are always jacked so that doesn't work.  Obviously they don't teach this in nursing school!  The last 2 times we inseminated 24 hours after positive opk and that didn't work.  Everything I have read says washed semen loses potency after 24 hours once inseminated.  We plan on using all 4.</p>

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
<p>Did you get your positive OPKs on the same day of your cycle the previous two tries?</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts