Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I want to make a bean bag chair as a x-mas gift for my little one.  I would like to use a natural filling and was thinking maybe buckwheat hulls would work.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Would it be too heavy?  How many pounds wound I need to order.  Any better idea?  Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
211 Posts
<p>I have been wanting to make one for a while also but got stuck on what non-toxic and eco-friendly filler to use. I was thinking the same thing as you or maybe shredded latex too? We have shredded latex pillows that are nice. I wonder if the bean bag would mold as nicely though as the buckwheat hulls might? Sorry I don't have any answers. Post back if you do make yours. I'd love to hear how it went.</p>

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>I hadn't thought of latex, I'm gonna look into that more.  I wonder how much it would cost?  I talked to a friend who makes meditation pillows and she said the buck wheat would make a very heavy bean bag ( a small meditation pillow could weigh 5 lbs)  She suggested kapok, but that would make a firmer chair that was less bean bag like.  I put the project off for now, because I just haven't found a good solution.</p>

·
Registered
6 Posts
<p>I've thought about popped corn, or straw, but I'm not sure how long they'd last,  I'd anticipate having to change the filling from time to time.  And I'm sure that with the straw it would need a few extra layers of fabric so that you're not uncomfortable.  Does anyone have ideas on this?</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts