Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I think about making cookies for Halloween treats, but I always worry that people will just throw them away. Would you let your child eat home made trick or treats if they were labeled with the address and ingredients?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not nowadays! Its too risky. The rule in my neighborhood is that an adult has to okay any candy. Anything not in a sealed wrapper is thrown away.

Sad to say but true...sigh....

Maybe you can give cookies to special friends?

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
I agree. My kids are not allowed unwrapped treats unless it is from someone we know and I actually see them hand it to the kids.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I usually make special treats for my nieces and nephew or very close friends but not for anyone else. Even with a label I would be skeptic, not just of ingredients but also cleanliness.

·
Registered
403 Posts
... although the name, address and ingredients MIGHT help....you could always candidly ask the parents first if they'd let them eat it if you provide that- and have a back up treat for those who decline....I know only the little one's come with parents though...

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, well. It's not worth making cookies for only the two families we know (our next door neighbors.).

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No, I wouldn't. As much as it is a thoughtful gesture, it's too much of a risk to take. Anything like that would be thrown away. Sorry, mama.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Whenever I get the hankering to make a lot of treats, I just send them to work with DH because they ALWAYS get eaten there plus DH then comes home with all the nice compliments.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would be SO grateful to be able to accept homemade cookies as trick or treats, as I just loathe all that candy garbage that comes home, but, all the news stations in all the places I've lived for the past couple of decades has advised parents to forbid their children eating anything but individually wrapped candies. But what a wonderful world it would be if we could only go back to those days when homemade cookies came home in the trick or treat bags. I remember getting homemade popcorn balls, too! Little homemade brownies wrapped in saran wrap... oh, man, those were the days!! You're so sweet to think of giving of yourself that way, though.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viewfinder View Post
I remember getting homemade popcorn balls, too! Little homemade brownies wrapped in saran wrap... oh, man, those were the days!!
One of the ladies on my street when I was growin up did carmel apples!!! I can't image how many she must have made every year. They were awesome.

We used to go trick or treating for hours while our parents stayed home and handed out candy. No one thought that school aged kids needed an adult to walk around the neighborhood. Gosh, those were the day!

BTW, I'm really, really old.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What about playdoh? I found some small can ones to give out for halloween at the craft store, A.C. Moore. They had halloweeen colors like black, orange, yellow and also pink(?).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.