Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried making mayo for the first time ever. The recipe I have calls for 1 egg, blend in blender for a while, then slowly drizzle in 1 cup of oil (I used grapeseed oil) and then add flavorings (sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar) after it's thick and then blend it some more. It says it should make 1.5 cups of mayo.

It all stuck to the sides of the blender (was it really whipping up properly if most of it wasn't even touching the blades but rather was stuck to the blender?) Mayo droplets were constantly flying up out the top of the blender while I was pouring the oil in. The final result wasn't as thick as storebought mayo, and I got way less than the recipe called for- but then I'm not sure how much was stuck to the sides of the blender.

It did come out quite tasty, and I didn't let any of the mayo stuck to the inside of the blender go to waste (it was finger-licking good!) but I certainly didn't get enough mayo to last me for the whole week of Passover. I'm planning to make more, and I'd like to know what I should change to make it work better.

Did I add the oil too fast? Did I turn off the blender too soon? Did I do nothing wrong, and I should simply make a double batch next time so I have some more to show for my efforts?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
DO you have anything besides a blender you can use? Like an immersion stick blender or a food processor?

I find that if you make a HUGE batch of mayo in the blender it's better but that always happens to me if I make a single egg worth batch.

I also would add the egg, and all other ingredients, THEN the oil since it will fill up the blender more. If you have a "low" button this would be the time to use it

ETA: somehow if I buy a quart from the store it's in the fridge for months. If I make it homemade I can make a quart a week worth! I think DH eats spoonfuls of it for a snack lol. Definately make a double/triple batch since you know you found a good recipe....

Which btw what recipe are you using? It sounds good!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm limited to my Passover appliances right now, so I can't use my immersion blender. I have a blender and a food processor (actually one base, with blender and food processor attachments.) Would the food processor work better?

The recipe was remarkably simple. 1 egg, 1 cup grapeseed oil, a pinch of sugar, a pinch of salt, and about 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. I had to estimate as my Passover measuring spoons seem to be missing!

The only kosher-for-Passover ready-made mayos are made with cottonseed oil, which I really don't want to consume, so I want my homemade recipe to work! I did buy a small jar of the commercial stuff JIC though.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I've really found the FP to be more useful for mayo than the blender, personally.

This is the recipe I use, it makes roughly 1 c - it doubles nicely. I've never tried more than double:
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp prepared mustard (doesn't matter what kind, I use dijon - it aids in emulsification)
1/4 tsp salt
Turn on the FP, and then slowly drizzle in 1/4 c oil (extremely slowly). At this point it should be super thick. (If it's not then you're pouring the oil in too fast. Pour the failed batch out into another dish and start again.)

Add 1 tsp each vinegar and lemon juice (sometimes it's 2 tsp of one or the other depending on what I have). Then drizzle in another 1/2 c of oil (doesn't have to be nearly as slow - a steady stream works fine). If you'd set aside a previous failed batch, drizzle it in now.

This works really nicely in the small work bowl of my FP (single or double batch). If you have a regular sized work bowl, you might want to triple it. Just remember you have to make the emulsion work with the first 1/3 of the oil, or it won't work at all.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I like it with grapeseed oil too. I was getting vegannaise for the longest time because they use grapeseed oil, but it's like 8.99 a jar! That and I can't figure out how to replace that egg. I don't even care if I have to use soy, it would be such a small amount. Tofu makes it too whipped up like and weird. I wonder how Vegannaise gets it so smooth like mayo?

And yes on the FP. Your immersion blender may not even work as good anyways if you can't use it. My old one didn't make good mayo, but I've had my Bamix for a couple years now and it literally works like a blender

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made the 2nd batch of mayo today and it came out perfect! I'm now planning to do this every Passover from now on- make the charoset, then the mayo, then shred the horseradish (which I still have to do- I'm letting the FP motor cool off as I type this up.) This mayo is so much tastier, and healthier, than the storebought kind (and it's something I can spread on my matzah that I'm not allergic to!
)

I made this batch with 2 egg yolks, rather than a whole egg, since we had the yolks left from making meringues last night.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I made the 2nd batch of mayo today and it came out perfect!
Yeah!!
:
:

I agree, it is SOOOO much tastier than store-bought. Once I started making it I had to question why I was still buying it, especially considering that I don't like the ingredients (choices are soy oil or canola oil around here).

It would limit what you can use it for, but I really love making my mayo with duck fat... that's my favorite now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.