Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to homeschool in aust/nz? what are the laws?<br>
we're thinking of trying to get citizen ship and moving from the US....but i don't want to send them to school.......what's the deal?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I don't know exactly the whole deal because it's dh who is Aussie, and we live in the US. However, cousins of dh just spent a year traveling around Aus and they homeschooled their kids for that whole year. Also I believe there is a very good homeschool network there. You shouldn't have too much trouble homeschooling. It is very hard to emmigrate to Aus though. Although if you have lot's of money it's much easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there!<br><br>
It is indeed legal to homeschool in NZ. I live in Auckland, NZ, and we have been homeschooling for over 3 years.<br><br>
There is lots of info on this website:<br><br><a href="http://home.school.nz/homelaw.shtml" target="_blank">http://home.school.nz/homelaw.shtml</a><br><br>
Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Each state of Australia has different laws about homeschooling. Queensland is the most restrictive I believe, and also has the highest number of non-registered homeschoolers. The ACT has recently changed it's laws, which were more flexible than most, and is now the same as NSW.<br><br>
I would suggest you consider just getting on with it once you get here. I have not been registered for fifteen years and it has never been an issue. I have home educated my four children.<br><br>
It's a personal decision of course, but I would follow your heart on it. You need to do what's best for your children.<br><br>
There are many support groups all over the country.<br><br>
Lynn

·
Registered
924 Posts
also look into moving to Oz, we are south african and i would very much like to home school, guess once i know where we will live it will be easier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts