Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>what people think of public schools trying to keep ur child in school . the teacher went down to principal and talk to my daughter and is trying to keep her there.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i just found my 4th grade is always on computer ? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>any advise </p>

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
<p>When does she leave school?  Soon, I hope.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think the scenario described is inappropriate.  In the end (and legally) the choice to HS is a parental decision - the teacher should not be questioning parental decisions, particularly on a topic the child may have very little say on.  If I was feeling really brave/ annoyed I may point out that I would no more ask an about -to-be HSed child if they would prefer to stay in school, then I would ask a schooled child if they want to be HSed.</p>

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
<p>People who don't follow the social norms get resistance from all sorts of "authorities" - doctors, teachers, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I agree that parental decisions should be respected but we just don't live in that society.  When we make choices that go against the grain, we will come up on resistance.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The thing to focus on is YOUR confidence. Let them object. If YOU have decided to take your child out of public school, then you absolutely have that right and let no-one stop you. Consider it a growth opportunity, a time to gain strength and courage. People will continue to question you after you've been homeschooling for years, and you will need the courage of your convictions so you're not saddled with doubt every time someone tells you your child will be a basket case because she's homeschooled (sorry, had to say that particular one since it was said to me).</p>

·
Registered
663 Posts
<p>I really don't have any advice, as when we decided to withdraw our oldest from our local ps we got nothing but positivity and encouragement from the school (admin and techers both).  But if I were in your situation, I'd likely say heck with this and pull my child NOW instead of waiting the few days until Christmas break or however long it is until the withdrawal date you had decided on.  Heck with that garbage (soooooo not what I wanted to say, I had to heavily filter my words lol), I wouldn't tolerate it since *my* kids would have no say in the matter if we had decided to withdraw them mid-year for any reason that doesn't involve them being the ones who ASKED us to homeschool.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And if I had a 4th grader on the computer all day at school I'd be livid.  Kids need people to teach them stuff, not computers.  There is a place for computer education, and you can utilize it for subjects quite well, but for a kid to be successful they need the interatcion and involvement of a caring adult in addition to what they are doing on the computer.  I'm not knocking people who do Switched On Schoolhouse, Teaching Textbooks, or any of the virtual academies that are computer-based curricula.  Those kids are successful because the parents are INVOLVED in the material, going over it and helping and just checking their understanding.  That may not happen in a traditional school with 30+ kids in a classroom, at least not with the frequency and quality that is needed for a typical kid to be truly successful.</p>

·
Registered
358 Posts
<p>It is WRONG for the school to try to undermine your authority to your child, it is WRONG for the school to try an bully or intimidate you into keeping your child in ps.  I would be livid and would pull the child immediately and figure out the curriculum stuff after the dust settled.  My mom ran into this when she pulled my sister from ps in grade 4 years ago, they tried to dissuade her at first, and then tried to scare her with empty threats and "what ifs" that never turned into anything.  All it did was further solidify her decision to get her child the heck outta there! </p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>They're trying to talk your 4th grader into staying in school after your family has made the decision that it is best to homeschool? Don't send her back to school.</p>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>thank u all i think i will pull her out , because she told me that the teacher pulling her out classes very chance she gets to ask why? my daughter told her teacher told her that she going to be doing that until she leaves. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>she will still have go there she gets speech twice a day and but not with the teacher. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
122 Posts
<p>Good luck with homeschooling!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am not in the same country as you, but when I withdrew my daughter from public school we were also required to attend the school, at first every day to show the work she had done at home with me, then twice a week for language lessons.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>These lessons were with separate teachers, but still we came in for a lot of hostility from other parents and the school itself.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This really did not work out for us. The fact we were homeschooling meant a lot of tension with the school. We were ALL much happier when we ceased to have any contact with the school at all.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
<p>definitely pull her out asap.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>when I was in 4th grade my parents made the decision to send me to 5th grade at a parochial school.  I was bullied everyday by the teacher because of this, she would tell me horrible stories of kids being beaten at that school, and that was jsut the start of it.  Having been through that I wouldn't fool around and I'd get my kid out fo there.  Good luck</p>

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
<p>That happened to my dd too.  When the school found out that we were looking into hs, my dd "got to" have lunch with the counselor.  GRRR.  The principal (and team) also hijacked my parent/teacher conference.  We weren't 'sold' on hs yet, but that behavior was the clincher!  We waited until winter break but if I had to do again, I would have pulled her that day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Amy</p>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<p>one day the my husband picked up my daughter from school and teacher came to car and tried and talked my husband into keeping her there. my husband told them talk to me . then they called to today ask why she wasn't in school and i told them we r homeschooling them and then ask why she  was leaving school and i told them it was decide it and that was it .  tomorrow they going to school get there stuff and maybe not stay rest of day and they want say good to friends and told i saw my daughter at home she lights up and she was happy and relaxed and her eyes didn't hurt so much.</p>

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
<p>When I left school, in third form, my science teacher suggested that maybe "all I needed" was to homeschool for a few terms and then come back. Which was kind of amusing, because it wasn't like I was pulling out due to the overwhelming stress or social angst or anything. I thought it was a bit presumptuous to assume homeschooling was some kind of stopgap measure, rather than a valid choice one could continue to use for the entirety of high school (as in fact I did!). Oh well. She was nice.</p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>I would just follow the law and pull my child without responding to any of the created drama by staff or family. Do what you feel is best and move forward from there. Just be careful to follow the law and give the proper letters and notifications,because busybody people will report you if they can find a reason.</p>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts