Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I never really thought about this until today. My dd is only 3, and we are considering pre-school for fun, because this is a small town in the north without a whole lot of activities for the long, cold winter months.

At any rate, there is a very good chance that she will be an only child, which kind of scares me in the first place, but on top of that, we have always planned on homeschooling. I guess I just never really thought about homeschooling an only child.

I grew up with 6 siblings, and the younger ones were all home schooled. We went to lots of homeschooling groups, and it was always families of 2 or more kids. Usually several kids. All of the people I know now who home school have several kids.

So, does anybody else home school and an only child? And if so, what are your biggest challenged and rewards with it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Well, I was one of five kids and my dh was one of 5 kids, and we have an only. We have homeschooled our only for the past 5 years and it has been great! We do have a few families in the area also hs'ing onlies, so while we aren't common, we aren't unheard of.

I like all the things that are easier with an only. You don't have to find curriculum that will work with more than one kid. You can attend the hs events your kid really wants to do without wondering how to keep the siblings happy. You almost always have room in your car to bring friends. LOL

I thought at first it would be an issue, but really hasn't been a problem for us. My dd wanted a sibling when she was 3 or 4 but by 6 she had friends with siblings. Did you know that siblings fight and get into each other's stuff? Oh, the horror! She's been hoping for no siblings since then. LOL

Don't worry, it will be fine.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I have 6 siblings and an only child, too.

I never thought I'd just have one and I really valued having siblings so I feel sad ds is missing out on that. With homeschooling, the hardest part is simply finding friends. I feel like families with more kids don't have as much of a need to do things with other people. Or they try to do things with other bigger families so that more of their kids have playmates. I end up having to initiate things and arrange playdates more.

It is easier in that there is only one child who has needs to be met. You don't have to figure out what to do if one child is taking a class that the other can't. You don't have to find opportunities that include multiple kids with a big age span.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Quote:
So, does anybody else home school and an only child? And if so, what are your biggest challenged and rewards with it.
My dd (9) is an only and I'm happy about it.
(BTW- Check out the moms of onlies tribe in the parenting forum.)

Rewards-
Flexibility
Resources
Energy
More time for friends, field trips, activities
Less distraction
Less space taken up
Basically only one child to buy, plan for or take places equals more of everything.
Easier to get a babysitter?

Challenges-
Can't reuse curriculum with younger child so cost isn't spread out. You can sell it or buy it used.
I really can't think of any other homeschool only challenges.

On my homeschool blog I have some "homeschooling an only child" links.
I'll share one here. http://brenda-bramblerose.blogspot.c...ling-only.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.