Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jasmine is 3 1/2, Emily is 12 1/2- I need to find a way to home school that has both of them being stimulated and fun.

I don't own a curriculum, but was wondering if unit studies would be the way to go, and let Jasmine do something at her level.

I also would really appreciate some ideas on your pre-schoolers day, things you do to introduce new and fun things. Any rhythm to your day?

I have been in a rut and getting up every day dreading it, not knowing what to do and genrally just getting on with the housework-then ending the day with guilt because I haven't done many fun things with the kids. So I want to shake it all up, have fun things planned so we can live joyously- and that at the end of the day I can feel that my children have been introduced to something new.

How can I do it with 2 very different ages?

~Amanda~

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You certainly don't need to own a curriculum to have some fun!
I have a three year old, and my oldest is 14, with two in-between. Personally, I would follow your 12 year olds interests, and let the three year old tag along.
For instance, if my 12 year old is interested in the rainforest and related plant life, I would leap on it. I would go to the local zoo and inspect carefully the rainforest exhibit. I would check out books about the rainforest animals and the three year old would sit in. I would let the young one color pictures while my older one looked up some information on some of the animals on the net.
Perhaps I could find out about some of the foods of that region and let my little one stir or help in some way.

On a practical level, I always keep some things set aside so that my 3 year old has something 'saved' when I need to spend time with the older one. There have been some very good threads on that here.
Most of all, have some fun. Go places, enjoy the kids. Examine what you are all interested in, and go for it!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.