Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I assume that you're talking about the midwives visiting your home?

Mine was mostly just to make sure they knew the way to my house so that they wouldn't get lost on the *big day*. We didn't even crack open my meticulously organized homebirth kit until the actual birth. So, she measured my fundal height, took my blood pressure (the usual stuff) and that was that.

So, in other words.......

Don't clean your house more than you would for anyone stopping by. Do whatever you need to do to feel comfortable but don't overdo it!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnseedoil
I assume that you're talking about the midwives visiting your home?

Mine was mostly just to make sure they knew the way to my house so that they wouldn't get lost on the *big day*. We didn't even crack open my meticulously organized homebirth kit until the actual birth. So, she measured my fundal height, took my blood pressure (the usual stuff) and that was that.

So, in other words.......

Don't clean your house more than you would for anyone stopping by. Do whatever you need to do to feel comfortable but don't overdo it!
"anyone" could just come if they avoid my daughter's room...but the office is a big paper *let's-just-put-this-here-for-now* mess

And what do you mean, no one will want to see my neatly stacked old towels?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My mw's main reason for a home visit is to make sure she knows how to get to your house. She usually does the normal prenatal visit as she would do at her office minus the weigh in. I think she might go through the birth kit with some of her first time clients, but she doesn't do this for me anymore. It is also the OK to go into labor. lol

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom
My mw's main reason for a home visit is to make sure she knows how to get to your house. She usually does the normal prenatal visit as she would do at her office minus the weigh in.
Yes, that I know....so no ones midwife wanted to tour the house?

·
Registered
652 Posts
about the tour: I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. It's pretty self explanatory.

about the birth kit: I had each type of linen separated and tied up in plastic bags with labels on top. I went a little crazy at the end to get everything together.
I don't know what they thought of it all since I was a little busy when it got unpacked.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I tour the house, but only the relevant parts. Where's the bathroom, where's the towels, where's the kitchen and the washing machine, where's the birth tub, where's the birth supplies, where's the phone, so no one has to tell me while busy with labour. But that's not the main reason, the main reason is to know my way so when the birth day comes I can not worry about getting lost. Not my place to check out how clean it is, and I'd be a hypocrite anyway, my house looks like a tornado hit it.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyboys
Nope, she didn't tour. She sat in a chair in my living room, and then I lay on the couch for the exam.

She didn't even use the restroom.

ugh......

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
My midwives came to my house a few times for appointments. They didn't see my laundry room or upstairs until the birth (which they missed); all my birth supplies were in a basket in the corner of my guestroom, so they were easy enough to find.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
My midwives said they'd basically just want to see where specific things were, like the bathroom(s), trash can, laundry, linen closet, things like that they might to get something from and not want to interrupt the birthing couple.

They also recommended that you invite anyone who might be at the birth, to the home visit. They said that it helps to actually see that many people in your space at the same time. Apparently they learned that by experience from some clients who had spaces way smaller than they had room for for all the birth attendees.

And, of course, they want to be able to find our house, and in December!

·
Registered
836 Posts
She did take a tour of our home just to see where everything was. But we live in a 3 bd, 1 story smallish condo so it was all right there pretty much. No office here. They wanted to see where I might be laboring/birthing (pool location), where the supplies would be, washer/dryer for cleanup, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the papers in the office. I just made sure everything was fairly clean and all my birth supplies were together. She didn't even check them, just asked if it was all there. I don't think any mw's are there to judge our home KWIM? Of course, I was still concerned about it being clean.

Wow, you're getting so close!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
My mw just comes to be sure shr knows where you live and that the home isnt a pig sty.

Dh and I for each and every baby clean the house from top to bottom, everything gets cleaned. Its so nice to have a clean house for awhile after the birth. Though now with 3 kids it gets dirty rather quickly.

Too bad I mc, we could use the throughly cleaned again
:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky
Yes, that I know....so no ones midwife wanted to tour the house?
Nope - mine just wanted to make sure she knew how to get here and where all the birth kit supplies were. I did show her (this last time) where I was planning to labor/birth, which was also where the birth kit was. That was it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.