Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this -- my almost 3 month old wants to be carried and/or held most of the day. He'll tolerate a little down time, especially if I'm still focused on him, but mostly, if he's awake, he wants to be held. I'm happy to oblige, but my MIL was all surprised that ds isn't like his dad, who was apparently happy to just lay around in his bassinette. She had a pretty standard hospital birth, and I gather dh spent time in the nursery. Ds, on the other hand, was right by my side after birth for all but about 15 minutes when I was in the bathroom, and even then, he was in his moses basket in the safe, quiet bedroom with his dad and the dog.

I know to a degree personalities are just different, but do you notice anything like this about your kids?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Of the people I know, it really seems that homebirthed babies are more laid back in general. Purely anecdotal of course. I know my HB baby is WAY more laid back.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've had two homebirths -- the first is spirited with lots of allergies and not laid back. The second is very happy but adventuresome too. I think they're just all different. I know many hb kids and they don't seem any differnt than the hospital born ones.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Paddy was born in a hospital, and the birth was fairly traumatic. He is very spirited, sometimes tentative, for the most part independant but when he needs his mama, HE NEEDS HIS MAMA NOW and he gets quite worked up, sometimes to the point where he's hyperventilating even though DH and I are right there holding him. He suffered night terrors from about 8-12 months. He hasn't had any since. Henri was born at home, and so far he seems to be WAAAY more laid back than his brother. He is a fantastic sleeper, extremely efficient nurser, not even really into comfort nursing ( Paddy comfort nursed constantly- we had troubles getting started ). He's still really young so we really can't see a whole lot of differences yet, but I know they're there. Henri just had a better start to life- period. Henri prefers his Mama and Dada. Grandma came over this weekend and I gave Henri to her and Henri lost it- the child who *never* cries just started weeping and glaring at me like "Mama don't you love me anymore???" But I think that's just normal for a little babe his age. Paddy was also vaxed until 12 months, then we called it quits. Henri has never had a single shot and so help me God he never will. So that could make some differences, too.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
My midwife delivered one of the grandchildren of a known celebrity at home.

He has twin grandchildren by another daughter whose birth was all over LHJ years ago, so he has numerous grandchildren.

But he was present at the birth of this grandchild who was born at home and he noted that the baby seemed to be calmer than the others. The midwife agreed that since there seems to be little rushing around and tension in the environment, it seems that the baby, too, would have a calmer disposition. I am glad he noticed this.

I agree.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
Of the people I know, it really seems that homebirthed babies are more laid back in general. Purely anecdotal of course. I know my HB baby is WAY more laid back.

Mine, too.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Both my kids were born at home. My first dd suffered/suffers from a severe case of First Born Child Syndrome.
She's been a live-wire since she was in the womb, very spirited, never laid back. She challenges me every day. She demands attention.

My ds is the opposite. Very laid back and just happy to be here. He does okay just laying around looking at things, but prefers being held. He chills out and smiles and looks at me like "I understand, Mom. Go deal with big sister. I feel for you!"

They are total opposites, but both born at home.

I personally don't think birthplace influences personality at all, but I do believe it does effect how easily/peacefully they adjust to life outside mom those first few days/weeks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
DD #1 was born in the hospital and was much more high needs than dd #2 (homebirthed is). She was a waterborn baby and indeed she LOVES the water. I belive that dd#1's traumatic birth and seperation from me after lead her to be extremely high needs and clingy. But it's all anecdotal.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Both my guys are home/water births. DS 1 was super laid back, I could leave him anywhere. If he was hungry and I couldn't get to him for some reason, he'd cry for a few minutes and then chill, as if to say, its ok, I get it. DS2 wants his mama NOW when he is hungry or tired, and for the first 3 months, he was un-put-down-able. I had a lot more stress in pregnancy 2, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

However, people do comment that they are laid back kids (but I am pretty mellow too). What I noticed was how alert they were in the first few months compared to hospital-birth (all with drugs of some sort) babies.

They both love the water, even when they're turning blue from the cold!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, it's funny -- when I started this thread, I was wondering if ds has some homebirth in his personality, but he almost has the opposite of a waterbirth personality (if there is such a thing) even though he was born in water. The first thing he did out of the water was cry, loudly, and he still isn't wild about taking a bath. Maybe it's because, in my intense laborland state, I reached down and grabbed him when he came out, not all that gently.
Whoops.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccamaryll View Post
What I noticed was how alert they were in the first few months compared to hospital-birth (all with drugs of some sort) babies.
A lot of people have commented on that about our son. We only have one baby, born at home, so I can't really compare (and hopefully the rest will all be born at home, too!). But even when ds was very young/newborn, he was very alert. And now, he's totally nosey, haha, and has to investigate everything going on around him.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
DD was born at home and in water- she loves water and is a happy easy going baby who can be alright alone. When she was an infant she slept alot alone in her bassinet I rolled around the house. She had no problems.
She was my second child and sitting around holding her while she slept was not really an option. She never cried and of course if she did I went to her.

Ds was born in a hospital and I held him for a good year and a half before ever setting him down.

I was MUCH calmer by #2 and I think that she responded accordingly by being much calmer.

Emilie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts