Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested positive for GBS in my urine (routine urine test because I've had a few bouts w/ UTIs). Anyway, it turns out when the GBS is in your urine it means the colonization in your vaginal/rectum are much more elevated than if I only tested positive from a vaginal culture. It adds a risk factor for tranferring it to the baby during birth. I thought I asked my MW if she can administer IV antibiotics and she said yes
...but the more I think about it, how can she if she is not a CNM...she is liscensed in the state of California as a LMW not a CNM. I was under the impression you had to have a nursing license to administer an IV...THOUGH I would totally trust her to do an IV; nurse or not.

She currently has me on a natural regime to 'lower' the GBS colonization...but it won't go away from what she said; just lower the count.

I am leaning towards having the IV antibiotics, but I don't want that to risk me NOT having my homebirth. I will be asking her again at my next appointment coming up or I might even email her to ask. I am kind of stressing on this.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry Anita, my MW hasnt tested me for this yet. I did hear that you can have it early in pregnancy and then not the last few weeks. However she did make a comment that none of her clients come out positive so not sure what she does or what she means AND she is very together when it comes to things that could be risky.
I can ask her though when i see her again. Hmm not sure about the antibiotics however i know LMW are able to administer certain emergency drugs if need be like pitocin etc for extreme cases so i dont see why not. I know there is a list of a ton of home remedies on mothering however im like you and wouldnt want to cover up the symptoms to test negative i would actually want to BE negative.

michele

hmm wonder how much longer for our woolie longies and shorties

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlyShellandKai

hmm wonder how much longer for our woolie longies and shorties

I know it's OT, but I read the LJ coop entry on this one a little while ago. It seems the vendor is being, shall we say difficult,
: and only some of the order has come in. We should be hearing more as she sorts it out.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
She might just be bypassing the law, and sometimes there is nothing wrong with that.
My state is really strict on LM, legally they aren't supposed to even have oxygen, and forget about drugs of any sort, but I'm not questioning how mine gets her's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling stressed. I tested positive with my first pregnancy and our midwives (LMs *not* CNMs) in Washington State gave me IV antibiotics (legally). I know that the laws are different everywhere -- are you able to call your midwife and ask her some of the laws, her personal experience with IVs, etc. I am sure she would be happy to talk with you.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what are some of the things she has you doing to lower your count? I haven't been tested this pregnancy yet (my midwife says she tests at 36 weeks), but I have already been trying to do some immune boosters (3000 mg Vit C; garlic capsule twice a day; and acidopholus once a day). Anyway, if you feel like sharing, I would love to hear what MW has recommended.

And let us know what you decide/learn after talking with your MW!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The real, honest, risk factors for GBS are so incredibly slim. It's a normal flora, and it goes up and down. Just becauase you test "positive" now does not mean you'll be positive when you give birth.
For one - DON'T BREAK YOUR WATERS, and take things designed to help strengthen your water bag. Swear off vaginal checks and sex if your water does break. No exceptions.

Don't fear it, don't feel like it's a horrible thing and just because you tested positive means your baby is at serious risk (statistically, it is absolutely NOT).

You can also do things to chase it away, and ask your midwife to re-test when you first go into labour (they can get lab results in less than 24 hours if they really want). Garlic vaginally can really help. Up your probiotics, too.

I refused GBS and agreed to treat symptomatically.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, I learned a lot more about GBS+ after the birth of my son (better late than never -- LOL!). I feel a lot more prepared this time around, in terms of prevention and understanding the true risk factors.

Also, my son has had flora issues in his gut since at least one year of age, when we found a virulent strain of Candida, which had likely been present since birth (because of the antibiotics)... We are still dealing with irritable bowel and leaky gut issues -- no one knows FOR SURE that it b/c of the antibiotics, but it certainly makes sense to me, since I could not pass on my flora to him. Anyway, I am loathe to go through the same thing with Number 2. I am not sure I will refuse antibiotics no matter what, but I am going to be much more active before agreeing to them.

Here are some resources where I learned more:

http://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/strep.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/gbs/gen_public_faq.htm
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html
http://www.preciouspassage.com/treat...up_b_strep.htm

The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm (she discusses several things you can do to minimize colonization)

Herbal Treatments (For Group Beta Strep) http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...p-b-side1.html

Treating Group B Strep: Are Antibiotics Necessary?
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...n/group-b.html

Hope this helps some folks out there!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Anita you may also want to try Kombucha tea. I LOVE it and it is great for helping the immune system and killing of bacteria and viruses etc etc.. I buy the synergy brand .

michele

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_o
Also, if you don't mind sharing, what are some of the things she has you doing to lower your count? I haven't been tested this pregnancy yet (my midwife says she tests at 36 weeks), but I have already been trying to do some immune boosters (3000 mg Vit C; garlic capsule twice a day; and acidopholus once a day). Anyway, if you feel like sharing, I would love to hear what MW has recommended.
For 14 days she has me on:
Tictures...Echinacea-2ml/Goldenseal 15drops (3-4x a day), 2000mg Vit C (a day in 4 doses), Zinc (50mg a day...I haven't added this yet as I don't know enough about it during pregnancy & can't find one that doesn't have other stuff in it). Probiotics (up to 4billion count) for the duration of the pregnancy. I added garlic caps and burdock root as well.

I'll post the rest of the regime (what to do after the 2 weeks is up) later.

I read ALOT last night on the gentlebirth.org site that has me worried about the GBS being in the pee...IE:
GBS in Urinary Tract
From Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year by Anne Frye: "Urinary tract infections: GBS in maternal urine > 10,000 cfu/cc is associated with infants who are at greater risk of preterm birth, colonization and infection. (Gilstrap & Faro, 1990, p. 56). In most of these women, vaginal and cervical cultures are also positive. Ampicillin can be given to the mother to help prevent complications and the development ot pyelonephritis (kidney infection). (Bobbitt, 1992)

Women with a healthy immune system and normal genetics will not get GBS growing in the urinary tract. Mothers with a genetically inherited inability to develop antibodies against the capsid of the GBS bacterium or with systemic immune problems may not develop adequate antibodies to keep GBS from growing in the urinary tract. They also will not have adequate antibodies to pass to the baby through the placenta, which is why GBS in the urinary tract is a serious risk factor for newborn GBS disease; these women should receive antibiotics in labor.

I can only do what I'm doing I suppose. I will also be calling my MW today to discuss my concerns with her and also confirm the ability for her to administer IV antibiotics IF it's needed. NOT that I want to do this...but if I have to for the safety of my child I would. My daughter had a hard time after birth...I ran a fever, she ran a fever and she had to stay in the NICU for 5 days-so perhaps I had it then as well though I don't remember it (it was 16 years ago).

LITTLETEAPOT...Could you refer me to some of the material you've read that talks about the GBS being a natural flora? I REALLY need to read something positive.

I started doing some visualization techniques last night too. Envisioning the GBS as 'weeds' in my vagina/urinary tract and beautiful white flowers representing the good flora that overgrew the 'weeds'.

Thanks EVERYONE for your input. I'm hoping to get a another urine culture tomorrow to see if the regime has helped the gbs in the urine.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soccermominsd
LITTLETEAPOT...Could you refer me to some of the material you've read that talks about the GBS being a natural flora? I REALLY need to read something positive.
The first place I ever heard that was from my midwife, who was helping me reach informed consent before she offered the tests (which I ultimately refused).

Think of it this way:
Do you know what the likelihood is of your baby getting GBS? 0.00270513244169508% (We'll round that to 0.003%). And only 5% of THAT is deadly (0.00013525662208475398, rounded to 0.0001%). Not quite as scary anymore, is it? It's much more dangerous in adults than in children!

I also found this,
"Strep B in the vagina is not necessarily illness-related. Just as we commonly have Strep A in our throats on a swab and have no sore throat symptoms, so from one day to the next can we all culture positive for Strep B without any symptoms or danger to our unborn babies. This is why many practitioners refuse to test for it and simply wait to test until such time as the above two "at risk infant scenarios" show up. One day you might test positive and the next be negative. To treat with antibiotics before labour would NOT be recommended. Your body could build up a resistance to the antibiotics and so could your babe's body. Then, if either of you got a more serious infection after the birth, the antibiotics might be ineffective. It can also lead to thrush, vaginal yeast, and severe colic in the months after birth."

This midwife states that in 20 years of attending mothers she has never tested or seen a baby born with GBS.

Also, this study:

Quote:
The influence of intrapartum antibiotics on the clinical spectrum of early-onset group B streptococcal infection in term infants.

Bromberger P, Lawrence JM, Braun D, Saunders B, Contreras R, Petitti DB

Department of Pediatrics, San Diego Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, USA.

OBJECTIVE: The use of intrapartum antibiotics to prevent early-onset group B streptococcal (EOGBS) infection has left pediatricians in a quandary about the appropriate evaluation and treatment of infants at risk for this infection. The aim of this study was to determine whether intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis changed the constellation and timing of onset of clinical signs of group B streptococcal (GBS) infection in term infants.

METHODOLOGY: We conducted a retrospective chart review of infants who had EOGBS infection and were born in Southern California Kaiser Permanente Hospitals from 1988 through 1996. Objective criteria were used to ascertain maternal risk of infection, intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis, and onset of clinical signs of infection. RESULTS: Three hundred nineteen infants with EOGBS sepsis, bacteremia, or clinically suspected infection were identified from a population of 277 912 live births. Of the 172 term infants with culture-positive infection who had clinical signs of infection, 95% exhibited them in the first 24 hours of life. All of the infants exposed to intrapartum antibiotics became ill within the first 24 hours of life.

CONCLUSIONS: Exposure to antibiotics during labor did not change the clinical spectrum of disease or the onset of clinical signs of infection within 24 hours of birth for term infants with EOGBS infection. A 48-hour stay is not required to monitor asymptomatic term infants exposed to intrapartum antibiotics for onset of GBS infection.
Even if you DON'T get antibiotics, your baby will exhibit symptoms in time for you to recognize and take them in. It's really not as "instant death" as we're led to believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts